1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feedback amplifier

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An amplifier without feedback provides an output signal of 15 V with 10% second harmonic distortions when input signal signal is 15 mV. If 1.5% of the output is feedback to the input in a negative series shunt amplifier, what is output voltage?

2. Relevant equations
    input signal (Vs) = 15mV , V0=15V , Af(gain with feedback) = V0/Vs

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have got Af =1000 & feedback factor beta =0.015

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So, you have some working and an answer showing what is the output voltage with feedback?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3
    Af=1000 is the open loop gain right. If that is so just calculate closed loop gain and multiply with the input .

5. Oct 2, 2014 #4
    Af is the gain with feedback .. we can find A by Af=A/1+beta*A
    but I am not getting how to find the output voltage with feedback..??
    we have to find the output voltage with feedback..!!

6. Oct 2, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Can you explain what this means?

7. Oct 2, 2014 #6
    15 V is the output voltage without feedback and 10% is the distortion D without feedback..!!

8. Oct 2, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

The gain without feedback is 1000. So if you are using "Af" to denote gain with feedback, then Af is not 1000. We don't know what is the value of Af, you are required to determine Af.

9. Oct 2, 2014 #8
    Not again.>!! I am really sorry..Its my mistake once again..now I am not getting how to do it..!!!

10. Oct 2, 2014 #9
    Now that you know that A=15/15mV , A=1000 and you have beta=0.015 just calculate gain with feedback "Af" . Since input voltage has also been known (15 V), calculate output voltage by the equation you have given.

11. Oct 2, 2014 #10
    This cannot be solved in this manner..!! A is found when we are knowing the input voltage Vi but that is not given.>!!

12. Oct 2, 2014 #11
    Input signal is 15 mV and output you get without feedback is 15 V.

13. Oct 2, 2014 #12
    This terminology difference is killing me..!! ohkk..so finally its clear.. we are having without feedback: V0=15V and Vi=15mV..& hence A= 1000beta=0.015 , so we can find Af.. Now how we are going to find output voltage with feedback..??

14. Oct 3, 2014 #13

NascentOxygen

Output is 1000x the input, the same as before, there is no change there. But now the input to that amplifier, instead of being Vi, is made to be (Vi - βVo). So the amplifier amplifies this by 1000x

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted