Exploring the Science of Feedback Loops in Social Media and Beyond

In summary,So I'm trying to exploit the idea of audio feedback and applying it to different Sciences, The one I had in particular in mind is social media. If you mean propagation of viral campaigns etc., a probably better analogy from physics would be a chain reaction. The differential equations don't look similar. Simplistic definition of feedback is that it is something used in amplifiers and control systems to improve performance and stability . Have a look here to begin with : http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/systems/closed-loop-system.html Thanks for this!
Justice Hunter
So I'm trying to exploit the idea of audio feedback and applying it to different Sciences, The one I had in particular in mind is social media.

But before I go hammering away at how to exploit it, I need a better understanding of how feedback actually works

I believe that the way feedback in audio is created by a signal at some arbitrary level, and when processed through a speaker, it becomes amplified, and depending on the distance away from the speaker, the microphone picks up the amplified sound and the process loops until the speaker reaches it maximum electrical capacity to amplify the sound.

My question is what are the equations that govern audio feedback?

Physics news on Phys.org
Justice Hunter said:
So I'm trying to exploit the idea of audio feedback and applying it to different Sciences, The one I had in particular in mind is social media.
If you mean propagation of viral campaigns etc., a probably better analogy from physics would be a chain reaction.

A.T. said:
If you mean propagation of viral campaigns etc., a probably better analogy from physics would be a chain reaction.

Perhaps, I feel that the two are strikingly similar (feedback loops and the propagation of viral media)

Justice Hunter said:
Perhaps, I feel that the two are strikingly similar (feedback loops and the propagation of viral media)
The differential equations don't look similar.

Nidum said:
Simplistic definition of feedback is that it is something used in amplifiers and control systems to improve performance and stability .

Have a look here to begin with :

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/systems/closed-loop-system.html

Thanks for this!

So let me propose an extremely idealistic and hypothetical scenario :

In a world where Facebook doesn't care about spam, let's say I go and create a website.

This website has one simple capability:

When a user watches a video on this website, the video is automatically shared to the viewers Facebook timeline.
----------
I would imagine that if something like this were remotely possible, within the next 24 hours, Facebook would be completely taken over by video posts from this website.

I think it sounds obvious that something like this would happen, but I think that such a thing can be considered a feedback loop since A effects B and B effects A, and the amplification process is the total interaction with post on the timeline

Does this make sense? I'm pretty sure a similar case happened with MySpace, where some guy wrote a sneaky computer code and ended up with millions of friends.

1. What is a feedback loop in social media?

A feedback loop in social media refers to the process of receiving and responding to information or reactions from other users. This can occur through comments, likes, shares, or any other form of engagement on a post or content.

2. How do feedback loops impact social media platforms?

Feedback loops can have a significant impact on social media platforms by influencing the content that is shown to users, the algorithms that determine what content is prioritized, and the overall user experience. They can also affect the popularity and success of certain posts or accounts.

3. Are feedback loops only present in social media?

No, feedback loops can also be found in various other systems and industries, such as economics, biology, and engineering. They are a fundamental concept in understanding how systems and processes operate and can be applied to many different areas.

4. How do feedback loops contribute to the spread of misinformation on social media?

Feedback loops can contribute to the spread of misinformation on social media by amplifying and reinforcing false information. If a post or content receives a lot of engagement, it may be shown to more users, leading to a wider reach and potential for the misinformation to spread further.

5. Can feedback loops be controlled or regulated on social media?

Yes, social media platforms can implement measures to control and regulate feedback loops. This can include fact-checking systems, algorithms that prioritize reliable sources, and community guidelines that discourage the spread of misinformation. However, the effectiveness of these measures is still being studied and debated.