Negative Feedback System: Understanding its Practicality

In summary: 's reasoning is wrong. the amplifier gain (2) acts on the error signal se and not on the input signal.
LM741
hey guys.
attached is a negative feedback system. This is used to control the system and maintain stability. But something doesn't make sense to me.
If you look at the diagram, when the output is y(t)=4sint (as required) then the feedback signal becomes f(t)=2sint, but that means that the signal put back into the system will be zero (because i take my feedback signal and subtract it from my original signal) that means i will get zero output every now and then...doesn't seem very practical...can someone please shed some light ...
thanks

Attachments

• feedback.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 256
Engineering news on Phys.org
Was this a problem you had? can you post the rest of it and not just the answer you came up with? Otherwise, yea, what you got here is a failure to communicate. signal goes in, nothing comes out.

no its just something that bothers me about a negative feedback system - it just doesn't make sense because when the output is what we want (4sint) then like i said - then we'll get nothing coming out - just doesn't seem right... say out output rises to 6sint fro example, then the negative feedback system is mean to counteract that - but dont' see how it does that coz then all that happens is our output becmoes (si -sf = 2sint - 3sint = -sint) -sint...
hope you can understand my dillema...

Your reasoning is wrong. The amplifier gain (2) acts on the error signal se and not on the input signal.
y = 2*se = 2*(si - sf)
so
sf = 0.5*y = 0.5*2*(si - sf) = si - sf
so
2*sf = si
or sf = si/2
se = si/2
y = si

The gain of your feedback amplifier is 1

You could have figured this out by know that L = ab = 2*.5 = 1.

corneo>>you missing the point

y=2*se
sf = 0.5*y
y=2*si - 2*sf
y=2*si - y
y=si

gain = 1

Also, note that you can generalize your your amplifier gain by substituting your gain values for general gain values to yield gain = K1/(1 + K1K2), where K1 is the gain of the block on the top, and K2 is the gain of the block on the bottom.

For completeness, I'm going to derive the general result of leright's post#8 using the generalization of the calculation done by SGT in post#4 and leright in post#7.

Terminology and definitions:
Vi = input voltage
Vo = output voltage
Vf = feedback voltage
Ve = error voltage = Vi - Vf (for negative feedback)
A = open loop gain or open loop transfer function = Vo/Ve (= Vo/Vi, when Vf=0)
B = feedback ratio = Vf/Vo
L = closed loop gain or overall transfer function = Vo/Vi

Proof:
Vo = A*Ve {defn} = A*(Vi - Vf) {defn} = A*(Vi - B*Vo) {defn} = A*Vi - A*B*Vo
=> Vo*(1+AB) = AVi
=> L = Vo/Vi = A/(1+AB)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To address the question in the OP, the input function Vi is not 2sint; that is the error function, Ve.

sup guys

apparently my frame of thought was wrong. I asked the lecturer. YOu can't look at the system like that. The signal is sort of instantaneous..or something like that..

just to let you guys know...
thanks for any feedback though.
john

1. What is a negative feedback system?

A negative feedback system is a physiological regulatory mechanism that works to maintain homeostasis by counteracting changes in the body's internal environment. It does this by detecting and responding to deviations from a set point, and producing a response that opposes the initial change.

2. How does a negative feedback system work?

A negative feedback system works by utilizing a sensor, control center, and effector. The sensor detects a change in the body's internal environment and sends this information to the control center. The control center then processes this information and sends a signal to the effector, which produces a response to counteract the initial change and bring the body back to its set point.

3. What are some real-life examples of negative feedback systems?

Examples of negative feedback systems in the body include the regulation of body temperature, blood glucose levels, and blood pressure. An example outside of the body is the thermostat in a house, which detects changes in temperature and turns on or off the heating or cooling system to maintain a set temperature.

4. What happens if a negative feedback system is not functioning properly?

If a negative feedback system is not functioning properly, it can lead to imbalances in the body's internal environment and result in health issues. For example, if the negative feedback system that regulates blood glucose levels malfunctions, it can lead to conditions such as diabetes.

5. How is the practicality of negative feedback systems utilized in scientific research?

Negative feedback systems are used in scientific research to understand and study various physiological processes and their regulation. By understanding how negative feedback systems work, researchers can develop treatments and therapies for conditions that involve dysregulation of these systems.