Feedback topology (MOSFET Clapp oscillator)

In summary, the conversation is about a schematic for a clapp oscillator with a DC biasing network. The feedback topology is broken up into something called "betanet", where the output is taken from the source of the MOSFET. The person is trying to determine if this is a shunt-series topology and how to calculate B using the equation B=If/I0. They are unsure about how to calculate If and I0.
dalarev

Homework Statement

I have this schematic for a clapp oscillator (see "ClappwBias") which includes the DC biasing network.

When broken up into feedback topology, I end up with something like "betanet", where the output is taken from the source of the MOSFET.

Homework Equations

If so, then B=If/I0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I correctly seeing this as a shunt-series topology?
The only thing that makes me doubt it is if what matters is where the load is taken from. I'm assuming series connection at the output of the transistor because the Drain is grounded, but considering the load, the output voltage (of the transistor) is in shunt with the load.

Attachments

• CLAPPwBIAS.PNG
    CLAPPwBIAS.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 531
  • betanet.PNG
    betanet.PNG
    8.8 KB · Views: 470
Physics news on Phys.org
Are these two the same thing? Is this a shunt-series topology? If it is, then I can calculate B using the equation above. However, I'm not sure how to calculate If and I0. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1. What is feedback topology and how does it relate to MOSFET Clapp oscillator?

Feedback topology refers to the arrangement of components in a circuit that allows for the transfer of a portion of the output signal back to the input for amplification. In the case of MOSFET Clapp oscillator, the feedback topology is used to stabilize the output frequency of the oscillator.

2. Why is feedback topology important in MOSFET Clapp oscillator?

Feedback topology is crucial in MOSFET Clapp oscillator because it helps to maintain the desired oscillation frequency. Without proper feedback, the oscillator may drift or produce unwanted frequencies.

3. How does feedback topology affect the stability of MOSFET Clapp oscillator?

The feedback topology used in MOSFET Clapp oscillator contributes to its stability by providing a mechanism for constant frequency feedback. This helps to minimize variations in the output frequency and ensures a stable oscillation.

4. What are the different types of feedback topology that can be used in MOSFET Clapp oscillator?

There are three main types of feedback topology that can be used in MOSFET Clapp oscillator: series feedback, shunt feedback, and combination feedback. Series feedback involves connecting a feedback resistor in series with the oscillator's output, while shunt feedback involves connecting a feedback resistor in parallel with the oscillator's output. Combination feedback utilizes a combination of series and shunt feedback for improved stability and performance.

5. How can feedback topology be optimized in MOSFET Clapp oscillator?

To optimize feedback topology in MOSFET Clapp oscillator, it is important to carefully select the values of the feedback resistors, capacitors, and other components. These values should be chosen to provide the desired amount of feedback and to ensure that the oscillator operates in its stable region. Additionally, proper grounding and placement of components can also help to optimize the feedback topology.