Feeding the World: Ideas for Sustainable Solutions

• News
  • Thread starter Dissident Dan
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what you assume. Presumably you assume that if food is available for sale, people will buy it and grow crops. But if the food is not available for sale, people will not grow crops. That's why it's important to have a distribution system in place so that people can actually get the food. originally posted by Dissident Dan
Originally posted by steppenwolf
firstly, farmers will move on to more profitable industries...
oooh bit of a contradiction here: "farmers will move onto more profitable industries" and then "what do you think they are more interested in, turning a profit or avoiding starving to death"
No, there are two separate issues there that you missed. The farm subsidies are an issue IN THE US. The issue in Somalia is starvation only. Two different countries, two different problems, two different solutions.
whoever siad 'what economy' is kidding themselves
Let me say it in another way: Somalia has no meaningful/functioning economy. Yeah, there is a little money and it moves around a little, and by definition, that's an economy. But it doesn't function in a way that has any real meaning. The normal rules of economics simply do not apply when the primary issue in people's lives is "will I starve to death tomorrow?" Beyond that (or maybe connected to that), a country like Somalia also has no functioning government.
how the hell did you turn this into a free market vs communsism debate? have you ever heard of market failures the market will not always fix itself, and if it does it's always for the benifit of the rich
The US has the most successful economy in the history of the world. And it does NOT just benefit the rich. I think I linked it on this thread, but ALL income levels in the US increase. Even the poor get richer. Communism came up because it is the extreme case of overzealous government control.
nice effort twisting my words
No word twisting. I didn't say YOU said those things, just that some people (many people) do.
there is a big difference between our intentions and the result, too many people are content to say 'well i tried, my intentions were good', these people need to keep away or go and study economics for a while
I can't remember who the psychologist was who made the triangle of needs/wants, but at the bottom is physical needs. If you are in constant danger of starvation, nothing else matters. The economics of the situation comes SECOND to the addressing of the physical needs of the citizens. Or maybe its THIRD. Second would be implimenting a functioning government. Physical safety is another physical need.
but the economics of the situation are delicate and you have to understand that we are not helping these people unless we are giving them self sufficiency and a stable economy, hence not showering them with free food which only destroys their economic independance.
The economics of a warlord stealing food meant for starving people is NOT delicate. Self sufficiency and a stable economy don't exist and can't unless the physical problems are fixed first.
And I might like to know, russ_watters, just what the percentage of the foods stuffs, produced, and paid unproduction, actually result to be, in respect of the amount of food "bought for consumption", as clearly 25% to 30% waste is a major addition to that type of human "Gross'ness".
MRP, near as I can tell, that's not a sentence and I'm not sure I understand it. But if you are asking how much we waste, I haven't a clue. It may very well be as much as 50%.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by russ_watters
MRP, near as I can tell, that's not a sentence and I'm not sure I understand it.

haha good so it's not just me,

as to the rest, i am sick of this useless meandering, very sick of all the useless meandering in the world, ta!

Originally posted by russ_watters
MRP, near as I can tell, that's not a sentence and I'm not sure I understand it. But if you are asking how much we waste, I haven't a clue. It may very well be as much as 50%.

Smarter the you have given yourself credit for, as clearly, you have understood what I asked, clear by your responce. Sorry I didn't frame the question more carefully, to you, as well, steppenwolf.

That was what I was asking, just how much, respective of the total food 'produced for consumption', is "Burned" by the two methods you have described.
(Literal 'burning' or wasting, by trashing, or, paid unproduction)