Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feeding Tube

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Should it be removed. Please tell why you voted. I think no because she is not on life support. She is just like a baby who needs feeding.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I voted "yes", but you do know it was removed last week, right?

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    yes i do, maybe it should be 'Was it right that it was removed?'?

5. Mar 24, 2005 #4

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Whut? I have no idea what you are on about.

6. Mar 24, 2005 #5
    why yes? Lets discuss this peacefully

7. Mar 24, 2005 #6
    i must leave for a while, lets see what happens :)

8. Mar 24, 2005 #7
    I ve seen the case on cnn. Her eyes are still moving. Is that a reflex or something???

9. Mar 24, 2005 #8
  10. Mar 24, 2005 #9

russ_watters

Yes. Your eyes will even track objects without conscious thought.

Its discussed in several other threads, but in short, I voted yes because with no higher brain functions and no hope of ever getting them back (that part of her brain is physically gone), she is, for all intents and purposes, already dead.

11. Mar 24, 2005 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It makes me sick to the stomach to think they would starve and dehydrate someone to death. There are better ways to handle euthanasia, this is downright barbaric.

12. Mar 24, 2005 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Monique - I just think about her parents having to watch this and how horrific and agonizing it must be for them. If she could be euthanized quickly I would be fine with that, but this long, drawn-out process of her death and the whole media circus and the politics/politicians surrounding it is just such a sad and undignified way for a human being's life to end.

13. Mar 24, 2005 #12
    I think she should die, but I agree with Monique. They could use give her a drug and end it quickly. But the same people who don't think she should have her suffering ended, also think that it's wrong to kill someone outright, and instead insist on a painful death through inaction.

Kevorkian, where art thou?

I happen to agree that a person who is in suffering and wants to end thier own life, should have the right to.

14. Mar 24, 2005 #13
    Funny how we can be so humane to our animals and mass murderers, by giving them injections to kill them..yet make others die of thirst.

ps Kevorkian is still sitting in a Michigan jail.

write a note to Dr Jack

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  15. Mar 24, 2005 #14

Evo

Lawtonfogle, is your question whether she should be allowed to die or if there should be a more humane way to do it?

I agree she should be allowed to die, I also wish that euthanasia in a case like this would be allowed.

16. Mar 24, 2005 #15
    Her starving of food or water is fine way for her to go. You could drop her out of a plane and she wouldnt know wtf is going on.

17. Mar 24, 2005 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No respect for life.

18. Mar 24, 2005 #17
    I didnt mean it like that. I have a high respect for life. I was just saying she does not comprehend anything and wouldnt know the difference or whats happening. According to the doc's and her level of brain deadness. Starving her is more hard on the family then her.

19. Mar 24, 2005 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I understand, but does suffering of family not count? And really I'm not sure how you determine whether someone can comprehend anything, simply by looking whether they can respond. There are instances where people are sedated with muscle relaxers, but are still contious. Doctors are cutting into them while they experience every little bit but they're left powerless to respond.

I am not all that familiar with the specifics of the case, I've seen footage of her state of being, but I'd be careful about drawing conclusions on suffering and contiousness.

20. Mar 24, 2005 #19

russ_watters

She has no cerebral cortex. Its pretty clear-cut, medically. All this 'err on the side of life' (from Bush) and 'what if she suffers while she dies' stuff is pretty much moot. She can't possibly suffer: for all intents and purposes, she's already dead.

As far as her family goes, sorry, but its not the family that had the heart attack 15 years ago, its Theresa. How this hurts her family is irrelevant.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  21. Mar 25, 2005 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What I find confronting is that it apparently is legal to neglect someone. What's wrong with giving her an injection? :mad:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?