Help! Feeling Demotivated Before Exams - Advice Needed

• Thread starter heman
  • Start date
In summary: This happens to me too, especially on the finals. On the beginning fo every semester, i am really motivated, but at the end i am just tired of it. This is fine, i guess, considering the amount of stuff i do on a semester.
heman
okay i have made some pointless threads..but this one is very serious..

i am not feeling like studying,,after 10 days i have my exams and i am not feeling like lifting my notes of Combinatorics,logic,Group theory...They are far too boring for me at the moment and i am not able to sit and open..i am feeling very disoriented..Don't know what's wrong with me,,i am just enjoying in talking pointless things..i am not able to motivate myself at the moment...i can't study those things ..

you guys are like Friends thatswhy i am telling the truth..till now i have done quite well but i am very much demotivated at the moment,,:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
This happens to me too, especially on the finals. On the beginning fo every semester, i am really motivated, but at the end i am just tired of it. This is fine, i guess, considering the amount of stuff i do on a semester.

Well, what i do to motivate myself... Hmm, i don't know... I simply pick my notes and start reading, oh and i take breaks between chapters. For me, the reason i am tired is because i know most of what the course covered, so i feel like i am repeating myself, but it ends up ok by reading it, because i remember a lot of forgotten info.

I guess you need to find out why you are demotivated...

Cyclovenom said:
This happens to me too, especially on the finals. On the beginning fo every semester, i am really motivated, but at the end i am just tired of it. This is fine, i guess, considering the amount of stuff i do on a semester.

Exactly,,,it happens always with me.

I am not even able to recognise why am i demotivated..

Play old video games until you feel the need for mental stimulation. You've just gone stale. It'll come back.

i don't play video games..

by the way i have all nice games like CounterStrike,quack,NFS but i never played those ever...

This happens to me every semester. Sometimes I find I am motivated by planning out next semester. What courses are you going to take? Thinking of the overall plan gets me excited again, and helps me get down to the books.
Or maybe read something related to one of your courses, but which will definitely NOT be on the exam. This way you won't feel like you are being forced to do something you don't want to do, and it will get you into the mood of the subject.
Or, read about someone really famous, who achieved some amazing things. This usually makes me feel like a slacker, and I run to the nearest book.
Another suggestion would be to force yourself to solve problems rather than read over notes. Especially try problems that were'nt assigned in class. Start with easy ones, and don't attempt a hard one for a while. I often find if I start with a difficult problem right away, I'll give up and my studying session is shot.

These are just some things that tend to work for me...

yesterday i had to study something like Polya Enumeration theorem...i sat on studying that on interenet and after studying that for 2/3 hours on net i returned to notes even then no effect...what i studied on net was trivial..Actually these topics need lot of thinking,,,i just want things which i can easily mugg up right away without any thinking,,,,...i can study other topics like material science , chemistry,technical arts but when come to topic like those i feel very much disoriented...

When one feels unmotivated during the day, then one can go outside and get some sun, and do some exercise - like running or walking or playing frisbee.

At night, obviously one cannot get sun, but one can exercise. Even lifting weights, doing stretching exercises is useful.

Pattylou posted an article indicating that exercise was beneficial to neural development.

I would discourage video games in favor of some kind of exercise. Think about taking up Tae Kwon Do or Karate or other martial art.

Read Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but only when you have time, i.e. don't let it interfere with study.

Last edited:
Cyclovenom said:

Well, what i do to motivate myself... Hmm, i don't know... I simply pick my notes and start reading, oh and i take breaks between chapters. For me, the reason i am tired is because i know most of what the course covered, so i feel like i am repeating myself, but it ends up ok by reading it, because i remember a lot of forgotten info.

I guess you need to find out why you are demotivated...

Same here.

I try to motivate myself, but it never happens. It really just feels like I'm repeating myself literally.

I guess I have to keep trying.

Try explaining the concepts here. It'll be more fun and you'll figure out what you don't know by trying to explain it to others. What is combinatorics?

This also happens to me every semester. For example, I've now wasted 8 days doing absolutely nothing, and therefore must cram tomorrow for a final exam on thursday.

What puzzles me is that I love what I'm studying, but just can't get myself to revise for exams.

Likes gracy

What are some tips for staying motivated during exam season?

1. Create a study plan: Having a structured plan can help you stay organized and motivated.2. Take breaks: It's important to take short breaks during studying to avoid burnout.3. Reward yourself: Set small goals and reward yourself when you achieve them to stay motivated.4. Surround yourself with motivators: This could be inspirational quotes, study buddies, or a supportive study environment.5. Remember your end goal: Keep in mind why you are studying and the long-term benefits of doing well on your exams.

How can I combat feelings of demotivation before exams?

1. Identify the source of demotivation: Is it fear of failure, lack of interest, or feeling overwhelmed? Once you know the root cause, you can address it.2. Break down your tasks: Instead of focusing on the entire exam, break it down into smaller, manageable tasks.3. Visualize success: Imagine yourself doing well on the exam and the satisfaction that comes with it.4. Talk to someone: Reach out to a friend, family member, or counselor for support and motivation.5. Practice self-care: Make sure to prioritize your physical and mental well-being by getting enough rest, exercise, and healthy meals.

What are some study techniques that can help me stay motivated?

1. Active learning: Instead of just reading, actively engage with the material through note-taking, summarizing, or teaching the concepts to someone else.2. Practice with past exams: Familiarizing yourself with the exam format and types of questions can help build confidence and motivation.3. Mix up your study methods: Switch between different study techniques to keep things interesting and prevent boredom.4. Study in short bursts: Studying for shorter periods of time with breaks in between has been shown to improve retention and motivation.5. Use positive self-talk: Instead of focusing on negative thoughts, try to reframe them into positive statements to boost motivation and confidence.

How can I overcome procrastination during exam preparation?

1. Set specific goals: Instead of saying "I'll study for 3 hours", set a specific goal like "I'll finish reviewing chapter 5 in an hour".2. Use the Pomodoro technique: This involves studying for 25 minutes and taking a 5-minute break, then repeating the cycle.3. Find an accountability partner: Ask a friend or family member to hold you accountable for your study goals.4. Eliminate distractions: Find a quiet, clutter-free study space and turn off your phone or any other potential distractions.5. Think about the consequences: Remind yourself of the negative consequences of procrastinating, such as poor grades or added stress.

How can I maintain my motivation throughout the entire exam period?

1. Take care of yourself: Make sure to get enough rest, exercise, and healthy meals to keep your mind and body energized.2. Reflect on your progress: Celebrate your achievements and progress, no matter how small.3. Stay positive: Instead of dwelling on mistakes or setbacks, focus on the steps you can take to improve.4. Use visual aids: Create a vision board or write down your goals and keep them in a visible place to remind you of what you're working towards.5. Remind yourself of your why: Keep in mind the reasons why you're taking the exams and the goals you have for your future.