1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Feeling inadequate as an engineering student doing fluid physics

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    Hi all,
    I have been in the physicsforum for a while already.
    I am a graduate student in mechanical engineering now, studying fluid mechanics.
    I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering as well.
    The kind of fluid mechanics I do is a bit mathematics and physics oriented. The best way to describe it is really fluid physics.
    With an undergraduate background in engineering, I really feel I know so little about physics and mathematics.
    I have been comparing myself to other physics students doing similar things. The physical intuition and mathematical maturity they have are way beyond me.
    I actually did very well in my engineering classes, and I still do very great in graduate classes now. But the gap between me and other physics students in terms of research ability is so huge.
    I feel like I lack a rigorous training even in mechanics. Hamiltonian? Lagrangian? I did not really learn these things in engineering classes. But these concepts seem to be really useful in theoretical fluid mechanics.
    I really want to fill in the gap.
    I am wondering if anyone here have the same situations here?
    If you mange to fill in the gap, how did you do it? Any sharing?

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted