Convert and Calculate Dimensions with Ti-89

In summary, the conversation was about finding a program for the ti-89 calculator that can add and subtract dimensions in ff.iiss format. The desired program would also be able to convert ff.iiss to decimal feet and vice versa. The algorithm mentioned involves using the iPart() and fPart() functions to calculate the decimal feet result.
Matthew2046
I was wondering if anyone here has a program for their ti-89 that can add and subtract dimension in ff.iiss format. Also it would be great if you could convert ff.iiss to decimal feet and vise versa.

For example I would want to enter in 10.0608 (10 feet 6 and a half inches) and convert it to decimal feet and get the answer of 10.5416. I would also like to be able to add and subtract dimensions in the same ff.iiss format.

Does anyone have a program that can do this? I would try and make one but have no idea how to even start.

Thank you for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I do not have ti-89 but here is one basic algorithm.

x = ff.iiss ' the input
ft = Integ(x) ' build decimal feet in ft

x = 100 * Fract(x) ' shift two digits left
ft = ft + Integ(x) / 12

x = 100 * Fract(x) ' shift two digits left
ft = ft + x / 192 ' decimal feet result, 12*16 = 192

Edit; On Ti 89 use the iPart() and fPart() functions for the integer and fractional part functions.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the Feet Inch Sixteenth Program?

The Feet Inch Sixteenth Program is designed to convert a given length in feet, inches, and sixteenths of an inch into its equivalent length in decimal feet. This can be useful for various applications in fields such as construction, engineering, and architecture.

2. How does the Feet Inch Sixteenth Program work?

The program uses a mathematical formula to convert the given length into decimal feet. It takes into account that there are 12 inches in a foot and 16 sixteenths in an inch. The user simply inputs the length in feet, inches, and sixteenths, and the program calculates the decimal feet equivalent.

3. Is the Feet Inch Sixteenth Program accurate?

Yes, the program is accurate as long as the user inputs the correct values for feet, inches, and sixteenths. It uses precise mathematical calculations to convert the length and does not round off the decimal values, providing a more accurate result.

4. Can the Feet Inch Sixteenth Program handle negative values?

Yes, the program can handle negative values for the length. This can be useful in situations where the length is a negative measurement, such as a downward slope or a decrease in length.

5. Is the Feet Inch Sixteenth Program user-friendly?

Yes, the program is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It requires minimal input from the user and provides a clear and accurate result. The program also displays any errors or warnings if the input values are not valid.