My Cat's Fierce Nature Revealed!

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the speaker's cat, a North-American ranch cat, can be vicious at times, especially when provoked. The speaker recalls a recent incident in the kitchen where the cat attacked them, causing them to seek shelter behind a kitchen stool. The speaker's sister finds the situation amusing and suggests that the speaker should kick the cat, but the speaker does not believe in harming animals. The conversation also leads to discussions about other animals, including geese, dogs, and even a goat, attacking the speaker. The speaker's wife also shares a story about the cat attacking her while preparing food, and how she eventually trained the cat to surrender food by hissing.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My cat is more dangerous that my four dogs combined!

Gee, she is normally very nice (except sometimes when she gets mad when you don't allow her to chew your fingers), but sometimes she can get really vicious. I guess it might just be the nature of the breed, a North-American ranch cat, just recently domesticated.

I was in the kitchen yesterday evening, trying to get all the animals to go into the hallway. So I clapt my hands and told them to get out, most did. All of a sudden there is this cat hanging in my pants, trying to get me! I try her to get off of me, next she hangs in my arm! Now I get really scared, so I yell to my sister to come and save me :)

Finally she let's go of me, I back up, she continues to attack. I seek shelter behind the kitchen stool, but she comes after me, I prepare to climb up the stool, she prepares to jump up with me.

All this time my sister is very amused with the display :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like robo attack kitten. You got to kill them before they kill you...

My sister's dog has attack me, except I was the one that provoked it

It's just a cat, kick it or something...

You ever had a cat attack you? And I don't kick animals, it is quite hard too when it is already hanging in your leg..

giver her some catnip, maybe then she will chill out...

Originally posted by Monique
You ever had a cat attack you? And I don't kick animals, it is quite hard too when it is already hanging in your leg..

I've had cats, dogs, geese, humans, and even a goat attack me.
The geese and goat had an unfair advantage, becuase at the time I was shorter than them, but now I'll kick any gooses ass that asks for it.

Once upon a time while my wife would be at the sink preparing a chicken, our orange tabby would walk up behind her and meow for a scrap. Meowing eventually turned to hissing, if his pleas went unanswered for too long, and one time he became so annoyed about having his pleas go ignored that he bit her on the leg (I think he drew blood, but not for certain). My wife became quite frightened of the little beast following that event, but the cat would never act in such a bad way so long as I was in the room (he was my baby). The cat ended up training my wife to surrender food by standing behind her and hissing (this went on for a very long time). One day I discovered much to my amusement, when I picked up a broom and the cat promptly ran out of the room, that my wife had been doing some training too.

1. Why is my cat suddenly acting so aggressive?

There could be a number of reasons for your cat's sudden aggressive behavior. Some common causes include fear or feeling threatened, pain or discomfort, territorial instincts, or past trauma. It's important to observe your cat's behavior and consult with a veterinarian or animal behaviorist to determine the underlying cause of their aggression.

2. How can I calm down my aggressive cat?

The first step in calming down an aggressive cat is to identify the root cause of their behavior. Once you know the cause, you can work with a professional to develop a behavior modification plan. This may include providing a safe and comfortable environment, avoiding triggers, and using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage calm behavior.

3. Is it possible for a cat to become less aggressive over time?

Yes, it is possible for a cat to become less aggressive over time. With proper training and behavior modification techniques, cats can learn to manage their aggression and become calmer and more relaxed. However, it's important to remember that each cat is unique and some may require more time and patience than others.

4. Can a cat's environment affect their level of aggression?

Absolutely. A cat's environment can have a significant impact on their behavior, including their level of aggression. Factors such as a lack of stimulation, overcrowding, or conflict with other pets can all contribute to a cat's aggressive behavior. Ensuring a peaceful and enriching environment for your cat can help reduce their aggression.

5. Are some cat breeds more prone to aggressive behavior?

There is no evidence to suggest that certain cat breeds are inherently more aggressive than others. However, some breeds may have a higher prey drive or be more territorial, which can manifest as aggressive behavior. It's important to remember that each cat is an individual and their behavior is influenced by a variety of factors, not just their breed.