Fallen in Bath? Tips for a Safe Shower

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I knew someone who fell getting out of the shower. She broke her arm, shoulder and collarbone, so be careful!Yes, a good sturdy handle mounted on the wall next to the bath would be a good idea, Woolie!
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Getting out of the shower witch is above our bath ,the bath mat slipped and i did the splits, so what you might say, well it bloody hurts, if you are of mature age thees sort of accidents seem to become more often, so if you have a bath mat on an linoleum floor make sure it has a rubberized backing.

Physics news on Phys.org
:oldfrown: Ouch! A good sturdy handle mounted on the wall next to the bath would be a good idea, Woolie!

It might help to put some grab bars on the walls Wolram. I hope you are OK

lisab said:
:oldfrown: Ouch! A good sturdy handle mounted on the wall next to the bath would be a good idea, Woolie!

Yes the shower curtain is not is not a handle as i found out
edward said:
It might help to put some grab bars on the walls Wolram. I hope you are OK

As you can imagine doing the splits over the rim of the bath parts of ones anatomy come into sudden contact, so apart from doing the splits witch is painful enough ones
nuts are sore.

How about a mat in the floor too, firmly attached to it. Strange, but these falls are much more likely than terrorist attacks, but people take more precautions for the latter.

wolram said:
Yes the shower curtain is not is not a handle as i found outAs you can imagine doing the splits over the rim of the bath parts of ones anatomy come into sudden contact, so apart from doing the splits witch is painful enough ones
nuts are sore.
I hope you heal up quickly. May get some non-slip stickies for the shower, and perhaps a hand rail.

I knew someone who fell getting out of the shower. She broke her arm, shoulder and collarbone, so be careful!

wolram said:
Yes the shower curtain is not is not a handle as i found outAs you can imagine doing the splits over the rim of the bath parts of ones anatomy come into sudden contact, so apart from doing the splits witch is painful enough ones
nuts are sore.

Ouch. When I remodeled the bath I installed heated non-skid Through-bodied Porcelain tile to avoid the slip and splits problem.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Everyone is thinking that shower is better than bath?)
http://lodozo.com/files/images/Cute-Baby-Bath-lodozo.com.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main cause of falls in the shower or bath?

The main cause of falls in the shower or bath is a combination of slippery surfaces and lack of balance or stability. Wet surfaces, soap residue, and hard to grip surfaces can all contribute to a higher risk of falling.

2. What are some ways to prevent falls in the shower or bath?

There are several ways to prevent falls in the shower or bath, including installing non-slip mats or stickers on the bottom of the tub or shower, using a shower chair or bench for extra stability, and installing grab bars for support. It is also important to remove any potential tripping hazards, such as bath mats or toiletries, from the shower area.

3. Are there any specific safety tips for individuals with mobility issues?

Yes, individuals with mobility issues should take extra precautions in the shower or bath. It may be helpful to use a shower chair or bench, install grab bars at different heights for support, and consider using a handheld showerhead for easier reach. It is also important to have someone assist you if needed.

4. What should I do if I do fall in the shower or bath?

If you do fall in the shower or bath, try to remain calm and assess any injuries. If you are able to get up safely, do so slowly and carefully. If you are unable to get up, call for help or use a waterproof emergency call device. It is also important to seek medical attention if needed.

5. Are there any other tips for a safe shower or bath experience?

In addition to the tips mentioned above, it is important to set the water temperature to a safe and comfortable level, have good lighting in the bathroom, and use a shower mat or non-slip decals outside of the tub or shower to prevent slips and falls. It is also recommended to have someone check in on you during or after your shower or bath, especially if you have any mobility issues or concerns.