Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexistent?

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    Hello, all.

I'm looking into applying to master's programs in physics. Unfortunately for me, it seems that very few schools provide fellowships and assistantships to master's students in physics. And, by very few, I mean to say that I haven't found a single one yet. In your experience is this correct? Or rather, under what circumstances can a master's student in physics get financial support?

Also, is the situation better for students in engineering master's programs?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Re: Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexist

In physics it is extremely rare for a terminal masters' student to get financial support, particularly at PhD-granting institutions. Have you looked at MS-only schools, like Creighton?

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    Re: Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexist

In general, masters students (engineering, physics, or otherwise) don't get a lot of support. As Vanadium says, the situation would be a bit better at an MS-only school, but even then, support opportunities are very limited.

(I'd stick with elusive though. I know of at least one masters student with a TAship, so it's not totally impossible.)

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

Hey, guys. Thanks for your help.

In response to Vanadium: no, I haven't thought about going to a MS-only institution. Now that you bring it up though, I'm concerned that an MS-only school wouldn't have programs that are as rigorous. Also, in regard to Creighton specifically, I would very strongly prefer not to live in Nebraska...

In any case, I guess taking out a small loan wouldn't be so bad if I could expect immediate employment with a decent salary as an engineer... :uhh:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook