1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexistent?

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    Hello, all.

I'm looking into applying to master's programs in physics. Unfortunately for me, it seems that very few schools provide fellowships and assistantships to master's students in physics. And, by very few, I mean to say that I haven't found a single one yet. In your experience is this correct? Or rather, under what circumstances can a master's student in physics get financial support?

Also, is the situation better for students in engineering master's programs?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexist

In physics it is extremely rare for a terminal masters' student to get financial support, particularly at PhD-granting institutions. Have you looked at MS-only schools, like Creighton?

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    Re: Fellowships and Assistantships for Physics Master's Students: Elusive or Nonexist

In general, masters students (engineering, physics, or otherwise) don't get a lot of support. As Vanadium says, the situation would be a bit better at an MS-only school, but even then, support opportunities are very limited.

(I'd stick with elusive though. I know of at least one masters student with a TAship, so it's not totally impossible.)

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4

Hey, guys. Thanks for your help.

In response to Vanadium: no, I haven't thought about going to a MS-only institution. Now that you bring it up though, I'm concerned that an MS-only school wouldn't have programs that are as rigorous. Also, in regard to Creighton specifically, I would very strongly prefer not to live in Nebraska...

In any case, I guess taking out a small loan wouldn't be so bad if I could expect immediate employment with a decent salary as an engineer... :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook