FEM - eigenvectors from eigensystem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Euler-Bernoulli theory to analyze the dynamics of a free-free beam and solving an eigenproblem to obtain the frequencies and corresponding modes. The question asks for advice on how to visualize the displacement using eigenvectors. Suggestions include plotting the deflection over time or at a specific time point for each mode, rather than ignoring the angles by multiplying the eigenvectors by a vector.
skrat

Homework Statement

It's not really a homework so I will try to be as clear as possible. Hopefully, somebody will understand me and be able to help.

I used Euler-Bernoulli theory to analyze the dynamics of a free-free beam (for the problem it is not important to understand what it is). If one discreticizes a beam into ##n=5## equal parts (as in the picture)
ProstNosilec.png

than each NODE has two variables (the deflection and the angle of rotation). Declaring a vector ##\vec d## of variables simplifies the writing a bit $$\vec d=(W_1,\Phi_1,W_2,\Phi_2,W_3,\Phi_3,W_4,\Phi_4,W_5,\Phi_5,W_6,\Phi_6)^\intercal.$$
Now let's assume we have the global stiffness (##\ K##) and mass (##\ M##) matrices. The equation we have to solve than is $$\ M \ddot{ \vec d}+\ K\vec d=\vec 0$$

Assuming the system will respond harmonically (in that case ##\ddot{ \vec d}=-\omega_0^2\vec d##) the equation of motion rewrites into $$(K-\omega_0^2\ M)\vec d=\vec 0$$ or even better (assuming ##\ M## is reversible $$(\ M^{-1}\ K-\omega_0^2)\vec d=0$$

Now this is an eigenproblem now. Eigenvalues are frequencies of corresponding modes (eigenvectors).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok...

Solving that eigensystem is really not a problem, so let's assume I have the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Now let's say I would like to visualize the displacement (so every odd component of a vector ##\vec d##). How do I do that? Would it make sense to simply multiply an eigenvector by vector ##(1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0)## to simply ignore the angles or is that completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are on the right track with solving the eigenproblem to obtain the frequencies and corresponding modes. To visualize the displacement, you can use the eigenvectors to plot the deflection of each node as a function of time. This will give you a representation of the displacement over time for each mode.

Alternatively, you can also use the eigenvectors to plot the displacement for each node at a specific time point. This will give you a snapshot of the displacement at a particular moment in time for each mode.

Multiplying the eigenvectors by a vector to ignore the angles may not give you an accurate representation of the displacement. It would be best to plot the full eigenvector to get a complete understanding of the displacement at each node.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further clarification. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is FEM and how is it related to eigenvectors?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method and it is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler elements. Eigenvectors are a key component of FEM as they are used to represent the deformation of each element and determine the behavior of the overall system.

2. How are eigenvectors obtained from an eigensystem in FEM?

In FEM, eigenvectors are obtained by solving the eigenvalue problem, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the system. This is typically done using numerical methods such as the Power Method or the Jacobi Method.

3. What is the significance of eigenvectors in FEM?

Eigenvectors play a crucial role in FEM as they determine the natural frequencies and mode shapes of a system. This information is used to analyze the dynamic behavior of structures and can be used to optimize designs and identify potential failure modes.

4. Can eigenvectors be used to determine the stability of a system in FEM?

Yes, the eigenvectors obtained from an eigensystem can be used to determine the stability of a system in FEM. If the eigenvalues are complex, it indicates that the system is unstable and the eigenvectors can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of the instability.

5. Are eigenvectors unique in FEM?

No, eigenvectors are not unique in FEM. Each eigenvector corresponds to a specific eigenvalue, and there can be multiple eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue. This is known as degeneracy and it is common in real-world systems.