1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FEM - eigenvectors from eigensystem

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's not really a homework so I will try to be as clear as possible. Hopefully, somebody will understand me and be able to help.

I used Euler-Bernoulli theory to analyze the dynamics of a free-free beam (for the problem it is not important to understand what it is). If one discreticizes a beam into ##n=5## equal parts (as in the picture) ProstNosilec.png

than each NODE has two variables (the deflection and the angle of rotation). Declaring a vector ##\vec d## of variables simplifies the writing a bit $$\vec d=(W_1,\Phi_1,W_2,\Phi_2,W_3,\Phi_3,W_4,\Phi_4,W_5,\Phi_5,W_6,\Phi_6)^\intercal.$$
    Now let's assume we have the global stiffness (##\ K##) and mass (##\ M##) matrices. The equation we have to solve than is $$\ M \ddot{ \vec d}+\ K\vec d=\vec 0$$

Assuming the system will respond harmonically (in that case ##\ddot{ \vec d}=-\omega_0^2\vec d##) the equation of motion rewrites into $$(K-\omega_0^2\ M)\vec d=\vec 0$$ or even better (assuming ##\ M## is reversible $$(\ M^{-1}\ K-\omega_0^2)\vec d=0$$

Now this is an eigenproblem now. Eigenvalues are frequencies of corresponding modes (eigenvectors).
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok...

Solving that eigensystem is really not a problem, so let's assume I have the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

Now let's say I would like to visualize the displacement (so every odd component of a vector ##\vec d##). How do I do that? Would it make sense to simply multiply an eigenvector by vector ##(1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0)## to simply ignore the angles or is that completely wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted