1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FEM software? Poisson equation: Boundary conditions for a charged boundary

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I want to calculate the electrostatic potential for an two-dimensional area with given Dirichlet boundary conditions (say, a square) with a charged ring in it (like a wedding ring, but inifinitely thin) with a given line charge density. I figured out that the problem should be solvable if I divided up the whole area into two areas: inside (solution phi_1(r)) and outside (solution phi_2(r)) the ring, connected with the boundary conditions

phi_1=phi_2
    dphi_1/dn-dphi_2/dn=\sigma/epsilon_0

d.../dn is the normal derivative, and sigma is the position-dependent line charge along the ring.

If you want, you can also think about the physics behind this, but my real question is about the mathematical issue: Do you know any (free) FEM software that can implement those conditions? I read into NGsolve and ELMER until now, and I don't think they can do it (at least, in a reasonable amout of my time configuring it).

Best
    Rafael

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted