• Thread starter TRCSF
  • Start date
Informal Logic
TRCSF said:
FEMA chief relieved of Katrina duties
Move follows controversy over Brown’s qualifications, agency’s response
NBC News and news services
Updated: 1:51 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2005

Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff was expected to announce the change at a 1:45 p.m. ET news conference.

Brown will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad Allen, who earlier this week was named his deputy to oversee relief and rescue efforts.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9266986/

Smurf said:
That is exactly right Alexandra. Brown's failure is not a cause but rather an effect of the much bigger problem in American society as a whole.
Agreed. But I also agree it seems to have gotten worse, probably because Dubya has owed so many. In the end company culture is due to management style (i.e., it rolls down from the top - where the buck stops).

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is just another example how Bush and his incompetent and corrupt cronies have betrayed the nation.

But Bush supporters are finally beginning to catch on...I think. Will it stick, or will someone start waving the flag again while the nation, not just NO, is looted and plundered?

Oh yes, as I pointed out on 9/2/05

Ivan said:
The head of FEMA was doing interviews day and night for the last two days. Then, last night an outraged Mayor of NO demanded that he didn't want't to see any more interviews on TV until people stop dying in the streets.

This morning there was a spokesman speaking on behalf of the FEMA jerk.

I was wondering if he didn't have something better to do than tell lies on TV. Whiile dead people were being eaten by rats in the streets, and the elderly and incapacitated were drowning in their attics, Mike Brown was shining his face and covering his and Bush's butts on TV.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86993&page=8&pp=15&highlight=Brown

Brown is just another one of Bush's spin doctors.

Last edited:
Didn't we think they were beginning to catch on many time in the past?

There is some trend downwards in his support, but not nearly as much as I'd expect. And his three big holds on people: Consistent style, religion, and financial handouts - haven't changed at all. If that's what people want.......

you forgot massive propoganda.

Informal Logic
pattylou said:

There is some trend downwards in his support, but not nearly as much as I'd expect. And his three big holds on people: Consistent style, religion, and financial handouts - haven't changed at all. If that's what people want.......
My thoughts as well. Just look at how members in this forum with higher IQs (who claim they don't support Bush) continue their ardent defense of him. And I agree, as has been stated before, that 45% approval is WAY too high in view of everything to date. I believe Bush should have been impeached after the Downing Street memos, so approval should be more like maybe 15-25% at best. Go figure. :confused:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Late edits to my last post.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
pattylou said:

Current approval ratings :

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N0816844.htm

A Pew Research Center poll found 67 percent of Americans believed Bush could have done more to speed up relief efforts, and just 28 percent believed he did all he could. His approval rating slipped to 40 percent, down four points since July to the lowest point Pew has recorded.
A CBS poll taken Sept. 6-7 found 38 percent approved of Bush's handling of the storm's aftermath, while 58 percent disapproved. That was a dramatic shift from immediately after the storm last week, when 54 percent approved and 12 percent disapproved.

The CBS poll also found confidence in Bush during a crisis had fallen and only 48 percent now view him as a strong leader -- the lowest number ever for Bush in the poll. A year ago 64 percent of voters saw Bush as a strong leader.

Bush's approval rating fell to 41 percent in a new Zogby poll, with only 36 percent giving him a passing grade on his handling of the response to the storm.

The Zogby poll also found broad pessimism among a majority of Americans after the storm, with 53 percent saying the country is headed in the wrong direction and 42 percent saying it is on the right track.

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll taken on Sept. 5-6 found 42 percent believed Bush did a "bad" or "terrible" job handling the storm and subsequent flooding, while 35 percent thought he performed "great" or "good."

A Washington Post/ABC News poll taken Sept. 2 offered more mixed results, with 46 percent approving of Bush's performance and 47 percent disapproving.

Gokul43201 said:
Oddly enough,
Rasmussen's poll numbers are still 'high' at http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Bush_Job_Approval.htm [Broken] as of 9/9/2005. NOTE: Rasmussen only keeps a couple of days worth of daya available so anyone reading this in the future may find the %approval to be different.

Rasmussen's data shows the fed did a piss-poor job according to some Americans.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2005/Katrina.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
There were some horriffic screw ups made by Homeland Security. Below is just one of them.

In a budgeting oversight, Homeland Security's Office of Domestic Preparedness, the agency that oversees the Prepositioned Equipment Program, did not include the roughly $14 million it takes to run the program in its budget request for fiscal year 2005.
http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0412/27/B01-42646.htm [Broken]

Can anyone make any sense out of the homeland security bureaucratic structure in the link below? Domestic preparedness seems to be very far down on the chain of command.

http://www.mel.nist.gov/div826/msid/sima/simconf/proc/ftp/lepage.pdf

Of course domestic preparedness isn't a priority. What do you think the military was doing in NO, protecting the people? no... they were protecting 'private property'

Skyhunter
kat said:
I'm not sure how you can really call his appointment controversial when congress put him there by a vote of..what 89 to 0? not sure the exact number of fors..by I know there were no against.
And if they had voted against him they would have been labeled obstructionist and suffered the "The president has a right to appoint who he wants." rhetoric that always accompanies any objection to Bush's appointees.

So now it is congresses fault?

Why do you keep trying to shift the blame?

Are you really that committed to the smirking chimp?

Skyhunter
BobG said:
Taking a bigger picture, FEMA didn't do that bad a job responding in Florida last year, did he? Or were things better when only hit Florida instead of several states, simultaneously? (neighboring states are in a better position to help out). Or is Jeb Bush just better at handling hurricanes on his own than Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama? Or is the federal government just more responsive when a swing state is hit by disaster in an election year?
C-SPAN had a congresswoman from Florida on Wednesday with all kinds of proof that for Florida's disaster was more in line with Brownies qualifications, ie campaigning for Bush. I tried to find it on there site but it doesn't seem to be archived. I don't have time right now but if anyone can find it and post it you will See why FEMA did such a wonderful job.

One thing I remember was that they gave out twice as many checks for death benefits as people who were killed in the hurricane.

Skyhunter said:
C-SPAN had a congresswoman from Florida on Wednesday with all kinds of proof that for Florida's disaster was more in line with Brownies qualifications, ie campaigning for Bush. I tried to find it on there site but it doesn't seem to be archived. I don't have time right now but if anyone can find it and post it you will See why FEMA did such a wonderful job.

One thing I remember was that they gave out twice as many checks for death benefits as people who were killed in the hurricane.
Ha ha! That's great.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Skyhunter said:

You're talking about http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src=news&prid=12590&category=Local%20News [Broken] where FEMA paid out $30 million to 10,000 Miami-Dade residents (the hurricane missed them by a hundred miles) and paid for funerals of folks still living.

Of course, payback is..... http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/03/State/FEMA_refusal_upsets_S.shtml [Broken]. This year, residents who actually did sustain damage can't get FEMA assistance (so much for Jeb's influence with George, eh?)

SOS2008
Gold Member
TRCSF said:
OK, I just saw this. Figured I'd put it in my own FEMA thread.

Tax dollars at work, ladies and gents.

http://www.fema.gov/kids/femarap.htm
That's not right, indoctrinating children with propaganda, and people say the Bush administration isn't anything like Nazi Germany.
Skyhunter said:

And, um, why do I suspect things are different in Jeb's state...?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_washington [Broken]

Brown, who had come to personify a relief operation widely panned as bumbling, will be replaced by Coast Guard Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen. Allen had been in charge of relief, recovery and rescue efforts for New Orleans.
At the White House, spokesman Scott McClellan said the decision to reassign Brown had been made by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and that Bush supported it.
Note: He is still the director of FEMA, but he's been ordered out of Louisiana

loseyourname said:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050909/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_washington [Broken]

Note: He is still the director of FEMA, but he's been ordered out of Louisiana
Yep, I posted this in another thread:
2CentsWorth said:
Though as usual the Bush administration is a day late and a dollar short, for the first time an inept crony is being....asked to step down! :surprised Good job Brownie! We'll find another position for ya, don't worry.
Bush won't fire anyone, and we all know he won't because that would be admitting a mistake.

Has anyone considered that Brown may have been a fall-guy?

Skyhunter
BobG said:
You're talking about Hurricane Frances where FEMA paid out $30 million to 10,000 Miami-Dade residents (the hurricane missed them by a hundred miles) and paid for funerals of folks still living.

Of course, payback is..... http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/03/State/FEMA_refusal_upsets_S.shtml. This year, residents who actually did sustain damage can't get FEMA assistance (so much for Jeb's influence with George, eh?)
Thank you BobG.

Yes that was the disaster I was talking about.

Skyhunter
oldunion said:
He was still Bush's choice. The apple does not fall very far from the tree.

oldunion said:
If he wasn't before he is now.

BobG said:
You're talking about Hurricane Frances where FEMA paid out $30 million to 10,000 Miami-Dade residents (the hurricane missed them by a hundred miles) and paid for funerals of folks still living.
It wasn't FEMA's fault about the hurricane Frances bungle. It was the crooks who were working for them that caused the problem.:yuck:

FEMA's inspectors included criminals

Agency relied on them for honest reports

By Megan O'Matz
and Sally Kestin By Megan O'Matz and Sally Kestin Staff Writers
Posted April 24 2005

Government inspectors entrusted to enter disaster victims' homes and verify damage claims include criminals with records for embezzlement, drug dealing and robbery, a South Florida Sun-Sentinel investigation has found.

Federal officials have pointed to the inspectors as their primary defense against accusations of widespread fraud for their payout of more than $31 million in Hurricane Frances disaster aid in Miami-Dade -- a county spared hurricane-force winds.

At the White House, spokesman Scott McClellan said the decision to reassign Brown had been made by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and that Bush supported it.
I thought that Bush thought that Brownie was doing a great job? :rolleyes:

Manchot said:
I thought that Bush thought that Brownie was doing a great job? :rolleyes:
He did until Karl Rove told him differently. :smile: