Fermat's Principle: Explaining Elliptical Mirror Reflection

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, Fermat's principle states that light takes the shortest path. What I don't understand is why is the light not reflected when it hits the mirror? Shouldnt it focus back to (c,0)?The light leaving the first focus (in any direction) does reach the second focus and it does that by reflecting off the elliptical mirror. Likewise, if there is nothing to stop the original light rays then they will continue on to reflect off the mirror again and return to the original focus.how does this exemplify Fermant's principle? are you saying that c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2} is the focus?I was answering your question regarding reflection. Fermat says
UrbanXrisis
There is an elliptical mirror, and this mirror is defined as [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]. I am supposed to use Fermat's principle to show that the light leaving a point (-c,0) is focused to a point (c,0) where [tex]c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

Fermat's principle state that light takes the shortest path. What I don't understand is why is the light not reflected when it hits the mirror? Shouldnt it focus back to (c,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Light leaving the first focus (in any direction) does reach the second focus and it does that by reflecting off the elliptical mirror. Likewise, if there is nothing to stop the original light rays then they will continue on to reflect off the mirror again and return to the original focus.

how does this exemplify Fermant's principle?
are you saying that [tex]c=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex] is the focus?

I was answering your question regarding reflection. Fermat says that the path taken in going from point A to point B is such that the time of flight is minimized (shortest path).

so how would this example NOT follow Fermant's principle? I mean, why does Fermant's principle tell me that 1. the ray is not reflected (is it because it is an elliptical mirror? cause a flat mirror would reflect it back?) and 2. if Fermant's principle was not obeyed, would the ray hit the point (c+/-x, 0) where x is some arbitrary number?

By the way - it is Fermat (no "n").

The essential result from Fermat relating to your problem is that, at the surface of the mirror, the angle of reflection of a light ray equals its angle of incidence. In other words, can you solve the geometry problem of showing that a light ray from one focus AND reflecting off the elliptical mirror (anywhere!) must necessarily pass through the other focus?

so the distance that light travles from the first focus to the mirror is [tex]d= \sqrt{c^2+b^2}[/tex] while the distance from the mirror to the other focus is [tex]d= \sqrt{(-c)^2+b^2}[/tex].

The total distance is then [tex]d= 2 \sqrt{c^2+b^2}[/tex]

there is another path that the light can take, which would be 2c+2a, which would travel from the focus to a point on a, then back to the focus, crossing (c,0).

now, I know my original equation needs to add 2c to it for it to give the the right answer, but I don't know how to do it. Why must there be another 2c added to the original equation?

that is... [tex]d= 2\sqrt{(c)^2+b^2}+2c=2c+2a[/tex] ? why must there be a +2c for the [tex]d= 2 \sqrt{c^2+b^2}[/tex] ?

I would approach the problem differently.

First, I'd pick a point P(x, y) on the ellipse and find a unit vector normal to the tangent:

[tex]\hat n = \frac {b^2 x \hat i + a^2 y \hat j}{\sqrt {b^4 x^2 + a^4 y^2}}[/tex]

Then I would attempt to show that this vector makes the same angle with respect to displacement vectors from each of the foci to P(x, y).

1. What is Fermat's Principle?

Fermat's Principle is a law in optics that states light travels between two points in a way that takes the least amount of time. This principle is commonly used to explain the path of light in various optical systems, including elliptical mirrors.

2. How does Fermat's Principle explain reflection in elliptical mirrors?

Fermat's Principle explains reflection in elliptical mirrors by stating that light rays travel from one point on the object to a corresponding point on the image in the least amount of time. In the case of elliptical mirrors, this results in light rays reflecting off the surface and converging at a focal point, creating an elliptical-shaped image.

3. Why does light take the least amount of time to travel between two points?

Light takes the least amount of time to travel between two points because it travels at a constant speed in a uniform medium. Therefore, the path that takes the shortest distance results in the shortest time, as the speed of light remains constant.

4. Can Fermat's Principle be used to explain other optical phenomena?

Yes, Fermat's Principle can be used to explain various optical phenomena, such as refraction, diffraction, and the path of light through lenses. It is a fundamental principle in optics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of light in different optical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Fermat's Principle?

While Fermat's Principle is a powerful tool in understanding light's behavior, it has some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes light travels in a straight line, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of diffraction and polarization, which can also affect the path of light.