Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermat's Last Theorem and Physics

1. Jul 29, 2005 #1
    Hi Guys,

I don't know if here is the correct place to post this one, but I would like to share the discussion and see what other people think about.

First a question, due to my hight level ignorance: Is there already any fundamental result in physycs which makes use of Fermat's Last Theorem?

Now, just wondering... it seems to me that this theorem must have some deep implication in the way our universe is, once there is some stable mathematical structure living herein.

I would appreciate comments on this, even if it is to suggest my going to a shrink. : )

Best Wishes

DaTario

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematics exists totally independently of the physics used to describe the universe.

There is no physical application of FLT yet, nor is it likely that there ever will. Diophantine equations are not common in physics. Even in microscopic descriptions of quantized quantities (the only place where integers are important), you rarely see diophatine equations, because the physical equation always contains non-quantized quantities. The only equations that will be diophantine in nature must be conservation relations for numbers (of quanta). And I see no reason for them to be anything above linear.

4. Jul 29, 2005 #3
    But you agree that the recent development of physics (1905 - ) has made us see more importance in the integer set in the description of the real thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?