Understanding Fermat's Last Theorem: A General Overview

• Thread starter ahrkron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the theorem was proven by reducing the original proof from 100 pages down to X pages. This proof used easier algebra and had no connection to the Tamiyama-Shimura conjecture.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone have a general idea about how the theorem was proven?

The details, of course, are not suitable for posting in the forum. What I'd like to find is the general overview of the theorem from which FLT was obtained as a corollary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Respectfully, as one who tried (succeeded?) at this one, all you really need to do is prove is that, for all values of n > 2 the resultant is no longer a right angle triangle.

At least that was how I went about it, some success, but I suspect it isn't a viable as I would have liked it to be as I ended up needing to sort of take a shortcut to arrive at conclusive proof.

The story of the proof, and its connection to the Tamiyama-Shimura conjecture, is told here .

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
The story of the proof, and its connection to the Tamiyama-Shimura conjecture, is told
Had heard that Mr. Wiles had reduced (the length) his proof using some (easier) algebra...down from the original at 'X' (sorry don't recall right now) hundred pages.

What possible connection could xn+yn= zn for n> 2 have with a right triangle?

And when you say "the resultant is no longer a right angle triangle", what "resultant" are you talking about??

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
What possible connection could xn+yn= zn for n> 2 have with a right triangle?
And when you say "the resultant is no longer a right angle triangle", what "resultant" are you talking about??
Because at the value of 2 it produces a right angle triangle, Pythagoran (sp?) theorem, and all values greater then 2 (n > 2) will NOT result in a right angle triangle. OK?

I think you MEAN that "if you have a triangle with sides of length a, b, c and such that an+ bn= cn with n and integer greater than 2, then the triangle is not a right triangle." That's surely true but I don't see what it has to do with Fermat's Last Theorem. For one thing, it says nothing about a, b, c being integers.

I think you MEAN that "if you have a triangle with sides of length a, b, c and such that an+ bn= cn with n and integer greater than 2, then the triangle is not a right triangle." That's surely true but I don't see what it has to do with Fermat's Last Theorem. For one thing, it says nothing about a, b, c being integers.
No it doesn't, but it is an approach to the problem, none the less.

By the way, to recognize a "church" as a separate entity says nothing about recognizing what it says as true of false- only accepting that it DOES say something. I have a friend who is a professor of religion. She was quick to correct someone who referred to her as a professor of "theology"- her point is that to study something you must believe it exists. To study theology (the study of God) you must believe God exists. To study religion, you only need to believe that religions exist.

By the way, to recognize a "church" as a separate entity says nothing about recognizing what it says as true of false- only accepting that it DOES say something. I have a friend who is a professor of religion. She was quick to correct someone who referred to her as a professor of "theology"- her point is that to study something you must believe it exists. To study theology (the study of God) you must believe God exists. To study religion, you only need to believe that religions exist.
Kinda off topic are we, please, either PM, or start a new thread.

What is Fermat's Last Theorem (FLT)?

Fermat's Last Theorem is a famous mathematical conjecture proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It states that no three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2.

Has FLT been proven or solved?

Yes, in 1994, British mathematician Andrew Wiles provided a complete proof for FLT after working on it for 7 years. His proof involves advanced mathematical concepts such as elliptic curves and modular forms.

Why is FLT important?

FLT is considered one of the most difficult and significant mathematical problems in history. It has challenged and inspired mathematicians for over 350 years and has led to the development of new mathematical techniques and theories.

Are there any real-life applications of FLT?

While FLT has no direct practical applications, the techniques and theories used to prove it have been applied in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry. FLT has also inspired further research in these fields.

Are there any other unsolved problems related to FLT?

Yes, there are several other unsolved problems related to FLT, such as Beal's conjecture and the generalized Fermat equation. These problems involve similar equations and have continued to intrigue mathematicians since the proof of FLT.