I cannot see why he would have removed himself from the field of elliptic curves and modular forms, considering he is probably the most capable person in the world in this field, and certainly the most famous and respected. He has devoted much of his life to this area also.
Having said that, he didn't tell anyone he was working on Fermat's last theorem, why should he advertise his other work?
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving