Proving x^6 ≡ 1 (mod 7) Using Fermat's Little Theorem

• Thread starter halvizo1031
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Fermat's Little Theorem states that if (a,p)=1, then a^(p-1) is congruent to 1 (mod p). In this case, since (x,7)=1, we can use this theorem to prove that x^6 is congruent to 1 (mod 7). This can be extended to prove that (x^3)^2 is congruent to +/-1 (mod 7).
halvizo1031

Homework Statement

I'm suppose to prove that if (x,7)=1, then x to the 6th is congruent to 1 mod 7.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, i have the proof by induction when (a,p)=1 but how do i apply this to prove it when a=x and p=7?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Fermat's Little Theorem state?

it states that if (a,p)=1 then a^(p-1) is congruent to 1 (mod p)

7 is a prime, and you have that (x,7), so use Fermat's Little Theorem on x7-1 = x6

so how is this for an answer?:

since 7 is a prime and the gcd(x,7) =1, then by Fermat's Little Theorem,

x^(7-1)=x^6 is congruent to 1(mod7)

Yes.

so now, if I want to show that (x^3)^2 is congruent to +/-1 (mod 7) would my work be correct? (please see the attachment).

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 361

1. What is Fermat's little theorem?

Fermat's little theorem is a fundamental theorem in number theory, named after the French mathematician Pierre de Fermat. It states that for any prime number p and any integer a, the remainder when a is divided by p is equal to a raised to the power of p-1, when divided by p.

2. What is the significance of Fermat's little theorem?

Fermat's little theorem is a powerful tool for proving divisibility and primality in number theory. It has many applications in cryptography, including the RSA cryptosystem, which relies on the fact that it is difficult to find the prime factors of a large number.

3. How is Fermat's little theorem used in cryptography?

Fermat's little theorem is used in the RSA cryptosystem to ensure that the private key cannot be easily determined from the public key. This is because the private key is the inverse of the public key modulo phi(n), which is difficult to compute without knowing the prime factors of n.

4. Can Fermat's little theorem be applied to non-prime moduli?

No, Fermat's little theorem only holds for prime moduli. It can be generalized to the Euler's theorem, which states that for any positive integer n and any integer a that is relatively prime to n, a raised to the power of phi(n) (Euler's totient function) is congruent to 1 modulo n.

5. Are there any exceptions to Fermat's little theorem?

Yes, there are some exceptions known as Fermat pseudoprimes. These are composite numbers that satisfy Fermat's little theorem even though they are not prime. However, these numbers are rare and can be identified using other tests for primality.