Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermentation Vs Respiration

1. Feb 14, 2005 #1
    ok, we all know that respiration is much more effective in producing atp.. but

Will fermentation or the respiration have the highest metabolic rate when compared on a mass specific basis (in moles ATP x hr^-1 x g^-1)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you show us some work and some of the assumption that have done on this problem.
  4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Moles of ATP per hours per grams of what?
  5. Feb 15, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

nemzy, since you have quite a few questions on cellular respiration and fermentation (I assume you must be studying that chapter in your biology class right now), it would really be easier for us to address them all in the same thread so we don't need to repeat things we've already covered on the topic.

I also have to echo loseyourname's question: if you're going to discuss metabolic rate per unit mass, you need to tell us what mass you're referring to? An organism, a substrate,...?
  6. Feb 15, 2005 #5
    the weight is referring to the organism...

anyways, i thought that respiration would have a higher metabolic rate than fermentation since in respiration more ATP is being produced...but its actually the othe way aruond. Fermentation has a higher metabolic rate than respiration when compared on a mass specific basis?

Does anyone know why?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?