Fermi Decay: ∆S=0 & ∆J=0 Class of Decay

So, for the specific class of decay where ∆S=0 and ∆J=0, only the Fermi decay mode is possible. In summary, for transitions with zero angular momentum and the same parities, Fermi beta decay is the only possible mode and isospin conservation is essential in all particle reactions.
Alec Neeson
I think that this is a relatively easy question (no equations) however I cannot seem to find anything on it. "For which specific class of decay is only the Fermi decay mode possible?" I know Fermi decay is ∆S=0 and therefore ∆J=0 type of decay

Physics news on Phys.org
Alec Neeson said:
I think that this is a relatively easy question (no equations) however I cannot seem to find anything on it. "For which specific class of decay is only the Fermi decay mode possible?" I know Fermi decay is ∆S=0 and therefore ∆J=0 type of decay

Fermi beta decay is the only possible mode for transitions where both the initial and final state, has angular momentum zero and the same parities. I'm here referring to the limit of vanishing momentum transfer. For finite momentum transfer there are others, but for beta decay their contribution are negligible.

Isospin conservation is essential in all particle reactions. This is the origin for the discovery of neutrinos and anti-neutrinos in beta decays/

1. What is Fermi Decay?

Fermi decay is a type of radioactive decay process in which a nucleus emits an electron and an antineutrino to become a nucleus with one less proton. This process was first described by Enrico Fermi in 1934.

2. What does ∆S=0 and ∆J=0 mean in relation to Fermi Decay?

In Fermi decay, ∆S=0 means that the spin of the nucleus and the spin of the emitted particle are in the same direction. ∆J=0 means that there is no change in the total angular momentum of the nucleus before and after the decay.

3. What is the significance of ∆S=0 and ∆J=0 in Fermi Decay?

The conservation of spin and angular momentum is important in Fermi decay because it helps determine the possible energy states and emission probabilities of the decay process.

4. What is an example of a nucleus undergoing Fermi Decay with ∆S=0 and ∆J=0?

An example of Fermi decay with ∆S=0 and ∆J=0 is the beta decay of a neutron into a proton, electron, and antineutrino.

5. Are there any other types of decay that follow the ∆S=0 and ∆J=0 rule?

Yes, other types of decay that follow the ∆S=0 and ∆J=0 rule include beta plus decay (positron emission) and electron capture, both of which involve the emission of a particle and an antineutrino with no change in spin or angular momentum.