1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi-Dirac Distribution

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Pleas can you help me figure out what I do wrong?
    At what temperature is the probability that an energy state at 7.00 eV will be populated equal to 25 percent for copper (EF = 6.95 eV)?

2. Relevant equations
    The formula for the fermi-Dirac Distribution is f(E) = 1/(1+e^((E-EF)/kT))

3. The attempt at a solution
    Looking at the problem I figured that f(E) = 25%=0.25 and E-EF=7.00 - 6.95 = 0.05eV
    solving for T and found that T=3.2979e21 K, but it doesn't seem to be the right answer, why?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2
    Hmmm... That seems a bit much. What boltzmann constant are you using? And double check your work, because I get a different answer than you.

4. May 5, 2009 #3
    That could well be the right answer (not sure of the exact answer, but you will get a big number). Metals have very high fermi temperatures - you can look at it in the following way. Fermi energy levels cannot be multiply-occupied. If that metal was made of bosons, it would have a temperature of 10^21 K because of where the highest energy electrons are.

5. May 5, 2009 #4
    That is way too large of a temperature. Hah, that is hotter than 1 second after the big bang. Also, the temperature of the Fermi energy is not even close to that. A Fermi energy of 6.95 eV has a Fermi temperature of 80,654 K.

viviane363 must have made a mistake somewhere in the calculation. Because I used the exact same formula and I got a completely different answer. But I think she forgot about this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook