Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi energy contribute to the field in the inductor

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    Ok, so here's the basic idea. You have a refrigerator, with four walls each 6ft x 2ft x 4in. The walls are made out of copper(high thermal conductivity), with a silicon chip at the center. This chip is connected to an inductor and is essentially a L-C oscillating circuit. As the chip heats up, electrons pass into the conduction band as per Fermi-Dirac. These pass into the inductor. Once all the electrons with the Fermi energy contribute to the field in the inductor, it collapses and recharges the chip. My question is, what happens to the energy at this point and will this keep thermal energy out of the refrigerator.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2
  4. Jun 16, 2005 #3
    I'm familiar with Peltier, but that isn't related to semiconductors. Peltier uses junctions of copper and bismuth, I'm thinking of something that uses silicon or germanium.

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
    Errm, Peltier effect works just fine between two dissimilar semiconductors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?