1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi Energy of Liquid He3

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The atom [itex]He^3[/itex] has spin 1/2 and is a fermion. The density of liquid [itex]He^3[/itex] is [itex]0.081g/cm^3[/itex] near absolute zero. Calculate the Fermi energy [itex]\epsilon_F[/itex] and the Fermi temperature [itex]T_F[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\epsilon_F = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{3 \pi^2 N}{V})^{2/3}[/itex]

[itex]T_F = \frac{\epsilon_F}{k}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

In the problem I'm given the density is [itex]0.081g/cm^3[/itex], which is my N/V. Assuming that m is the mass of [itex]He^3[/itex], then [itex]m = 5.008*10^{-24}g[/itex]. I should then be able to do a straight forward plug-n-chug; however my units don't work out as I get:

[itex]\epsilon_F = \frac{\hbar^2}{1.0016*10^{-23}g}(3 \pi^2 0.081g cm^{-3})^{2/3}=1.99*10^{-50} kg^{5/3} m^2 s^{-2}[/itex]

Clearly, this is not a unit of energy. What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    I need to use number density, rather than straight density. Which should take care of my problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?