1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi energy question help

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the densities of states 0.08 eV above the conduction band edge and 0.08 eV below the valence band edge for germanium.

Find the volume density of states (i.e. number of states per unit volume) with energies between the conduction band edge and 0.4 eV above the conduction band edge for germanium.

2. Relevant equations
    8pisqrt2/h^3*m^(3/2)sqrt(E-Ec)
    Using this example as a reference http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/pdf/ex2_3.pdf

3. The attempt at a solution
    m=6*10^18, in the example they ignored the *10^-18 on their 1.08 value
    (((8pisqrt2*(9.10*10^-31*6)^(3/2))/(6.626*10^-34)^3))sqrt(.08*1.6*10^-19)
    =1.76*10^47 m^-3J^-1

Why should I times it by *10^-22, like in the example above? What is the purpose of that or is it an error?

In the example above I don't understand how they calculated that or reduced their value so low. I tried it with the same numbers they gave and it didn't work at all.

This value seems way too high. I need to convert it to eV.

Part 2)
    Should I use .02 for this example, for my E-Ec value?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This should be posted in the advanced physics forum.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I'm no expert on this topic, but I note that 10^-22 is the volume of the sample they are using (100 x 100 x 10 nm3) in cubic meters. I note also that the units of their formula work out to J-1 m-3, so to yield a result in J-1 multiplying by a volume is called for.

I further note that their intermediate result: 1.51 x 1056 m-3 J-1 is suspect. Plugging in their values I get an order of magnitude of 1046 rather than 1056, however their final result looks fine.

5. Sep 30, 2015 #4

Daz

Gold Member

Are you sure you posted all of the information given in the question? You need the effective mass of electrons and holes in germanium to work that out. (The values are very different to the values for silicon.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted