Position of Fermi Energy for Semi-Conductors

In summary, the Fermi level (or Fermi energy) is the value of the chemical potential of electrons at absolute zero temperature, and in semiconductors it is typically located somewhere in the energy gap between the valence and conduction bands. It is important for understanding the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, and for defining the work function in some cases. There may be some confusion between the Fermi level and Fermi energy in regards to their precise definitions, but in most cases they refer to the same concept.
M.A.M.Abed
what i mean exactly what is the position of Fermi energy for semi conductor materials
1- at the highest of valance band
2- at the mid-way in energy gap like Fermi level at 0 K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it would be helpful if you could rephrase your question in complete sentences.

DrDu said:
it would be helpful if you could rephrase your question in complete sentences.
what i mean exactly what is the position of Fermi energy for semi conductor materials
1- at the highest of valance band
2- at the mid-way in energy gap

M.A.M.Abed said:
I ll do

You didn't..

Zz..

ZapperZ said:
You didn't..

Zz..
I did

The precise definition of the Fermi energy is the value of the chemical potential of the electrons in the limit ##T \to 0 ##K. This value may or may not coincide with an energy level of the system. In semiconductors it is somewhere between the upper end of the valence band and the lower end of the conduction band, not necessarily in the center.

Likes berkeman
DrDu said:
The precise definition of the Fermi energy is the value of the chemical potential of the electrons in the limit ##T \to 0 ##K. This value may or may not coincide with an energy level of the system. In semiconductors it is somewhere between the upper end of the valence band and the lower end of the conduction band, not necessarily in the center.
I know that it doesn't necessarily in the center.
also i know the difference between Fermi energy and Fermi level
also i know that Fermi level tends to be the same of Fermi energy at limit T=0 K
Fermi level is the level with probability 50% to occupies also represent the same electron chemical potential
Fermi energy is the difference between the max energy and the ground state energy (highest occupied level at T=0 K )
i am confused if Fermi energy highest occupied level at T=0 K which separate full levels under it and empty above it
if it in the energy gap it will be empty which contradict with definition (highest occupied level at T=0 K)

In the energy gap there is no level, so it makes no sense to say it is empty or not. In a semiconductor you have a well defined Fermi energy, but no Fermi level.

DrDu said:
In the energy gap there is no level, so it makes no sense to say it is empty or not. In a semiconductor you have a well defined Fermi energy, but no Fermi level.
yea the density of at it equal to zero
thank you
put what you mean by In a semiconductor you have a well defined Fermi energy
also is there any importance to define a work function for semi conductor or insulators since Fermi level in the energy gap ??

Last edited:
M.A.M.Abed said:
also is there any importance to define a work function for semi conductor or insulators since Fermi level in the energy gap ??

Yes, there is an "importance" to defining a work function for a semiconductor. In some cases, it is defined as the sum of the energy gap and the electron affinity. It is important because many semiconductors are being used a photocathode in an electron source, and the work function here defines the photoemission threshold.

Zz.

Likes M.A.M.Abed
ZapperZ said:
Yes, there is an "importance" to defining a work function for a semiconductor. In some cases, it is defined as the sum of the energy gap and the electron affinity. It is important because many semiconductors are being used a photocathode in an electron source, and the work function here defines the photoemission threshold.

Zz.
Thnx in advance
last question sorry the Fermi energy at insulators is the top level of valance band and Fermi level for ideal case in the middle of energy gap am i right ?

M.A.M.Abed said:
Thnx in advance
last question sorry the Fermi energy at insulators is the top level of valance band

No, this is not correct. The Fermi level for insulators is somewhere in the gap.

and Fermi level for ideal case in the middle of energy gap am i right ?

Ideal case of what?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, this is not correct. The Fermi level for insulators is somewhere in the gap.
Ideal case of what?

Zz.
for pure semiconductor at T=0 K
there is a misunderstanding between fermi level and fermi energy
just tell me where fermi level and fermi energy exist at zero absolute temperature for semiconductors

M.A.M.Abed said:
for pure semiconductor at T=0 K
there is a misunderstanding between fermi level and fermi energy
just tell me where fermi level and fermi energy exist at zero absolute temperature for semiconductors

For an intrinsic semiconductor, it is located in the middle of the gap. For any other semiconductor or insulator, it is SOMEWHERE in the gap.

Zz.

It's called valence not valance.

ZapperZ said:
For an intrinsic semiconductor, it is located in the middle of the gap. For any other semiconductor or insulator, it is SOMEWHERE in the gap.

Zz.
yea this is the Fermi level
what about Fermi energy (highest occupied energy at T=0 K)

ZapperZ said:
For an intrinsic semiconductor, it is located in the middle of the gap.
No, because the density of states is usually different in the valence and conduction band. At finite temperatures, this would lead to an excess of electrons in the band with the higher DOS. Hence the chemical potential has to be further away from the band with the higher DOS. This also holds in the limit of zero temperature.

DrDu said:
No, because the density of states is usually different in the valence and conduction band.

Not according to the simplified version that is used in many textbooks at this level. And I highly doubt that the OP is dealing with the knowledge of band structure of materials to understand this issue.

Zz.

M.A.M.Abed said:
yea this is the Fermi level
what about Fermi energy (highest occupied energy at T=0 K)

The "Fermi level" IS the "Fermi energy", unless you are dealing with momentum space, which you're not. You are only tackling the cartoon energy band diagram, which is in "energy space", and they are the same thing, i.e. this is often mixed with the chemical potential.

Zz.

Thnx

1. What is the Fermi energy for semi-conductors?

The Fermi energy for semi-conductors is the energy level in a material that represents the highest occupied energy state at 0 Kelvin. It serves as a reference point for determining the probability of electrons occupying higher energy states.

2. How is the position of Fermi energy determined in semi-conductors?

The position of Fermi energy in semi-conductors is determined by the type of doping present in the material. N-type doping results in a decrease in Fermi energy, while P-type doping results in an increase in Fermi energy.

3. What is the relationship between Fermi energy and the band gap in semi-conductors?

Fermi energy and band gap are inversely related in semi-conductors. As the band gap decreases, the Fermi energy increases, and vice versa. This relationship is important in determining the electrical conductivity of a material.

4. How does temperature affect the position of Fermi energy in semi-conductors?

In semi-conductors, the position of Fermi energy increases with increasing temperature due to the thermal excitation of electrons to higher energy states. This results in an increase in the number of charge carriers and an increase in electrical conductivity.

5. What is the significance of the position of Fermi energy in semi-conductors?

The position of Fermi energy is crucial in understanding the electrical and optical properties of semi-conductors. It determines the number of charge carriers and their energy states, which in turn affects the material's conductivity, band structure, and optical absorption. It also plays a key role in the design and performance of electronic devices.