1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi gas density of states

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

20fwcc7.png

Part (a): Plot fermi energy as a function of N
    Part (b): Derive the density of states and find its value
    Part (c): How many atoms reside at 20% of fermi energy? Estimate diameter of cloud
    Part (d): For the same atoms without spin, why is the cloud much smaller? Estimate the transition temperature.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)

The Fermi Energy is the highest energy level occupied by the atoms at T = 0.

We know that ##\epsilon_f \propto \left( \frac{N}{V}\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}## so the graph looks like:
    29c1ma8.png

Part (b)

I'm not sure why there is a factor of ##\omega^3##, as the density of states seem to be independent:

[tex]g_{(k)} dk = (2S+1) \frac{1}{8} \times \frac{4\pi k^2 dk}{(\frac{\pi}{L})^3}[/tex]
    [tex]g_{(k)} dk = \frac{V}{\pi^2} k^2 dk[/tex]

Using the substitution ##E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}## still doesn't produce any ##\omega## What does it mean when they say ##\epsilon >> \hbar \omega##?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That equation for the energy is valid for a free particle, not for one confined to a harmonic oscillator.

It means you can neglect the discreteness of the energy levels and consider them to be continuously distributed.

4. May 21, 2014 #3
    Part (b)
    For one confined to a harmonic oscillator, ##E = (n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega##. I've been thinking what the density of states would look like in n-space. Since ##\epsilon>>\hbar \omega##, I can simply take ##\epsilon \approx n\hbar \omega##.

Would it be something like:
    [tex]g_{(n)} dn = (2S+1) \frac{1}{8} \frac{4 \pi n^2 dn}{1}[/tex]
    [tex]g_{(\epsilon)} d\epsilon= \frac{\pi}{\hbar^3} \frac{\epsilon^2}{\omega^3} d\epsilon[/tex]

Therefore ##\alpha = \frac{\pi}{\hbar^3}##.

At T = 0 K, the occupation number up till fermi energy is 1. After fermi energy, it is 0. It is a heavyside function.

[tex]N = \sum n_{(\epsilon)} = \int g_{(\epsilon)} d\epsilon[/tex]
    [tex]N = \int_0^{\epsilon_F}\frac{\pi}{\hbar^3} \frac{\epsilon^2}{\omega^3} d\epsilon[/tex]
    [tex]\epsilon_F = \hbar \omega\left(\frac{3N}{\pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

For ##N = 10^6## and ##\omega = 2\pi \times 10^5##,
    [tex]\epsilon_F = 6.52 \times 10^{-27} J = 41 \space neV[/tex]

Checking online, the fermi energy of Lithium is 4.7 eV. I'm off by 10 orders of magnitude..

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  5. May 22, 2014 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess you stumbled upon the Fermi energy for electrons in solid lithium. For a degenerate Fermi gas of atoms, that's indeed the order of magnitude. The corresponding Fermi temperature is ##T_\mathrm{F} \approx 0.5\ \mathrm{mK}##, which is why advanced cooling techniques are required!

6. May 22, 2014 #5
    Thanks alot, that does make sense. Where does the degeneracy of ##\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2}## come into play here? Should it go into the density of states or the partition function?

7. May 24, 2014 #6
    Any input on whether my density of states is right?

[Edit]I'm concerned about the missing degeneracy given in the question of ##\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2}##

Last edited: May 24, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted