1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi gas

1. Mar 1, 2008 #1
    in a Fermi gas, we know that when the temperature is much less than the Fermi energy, it becomes a degenerate gas. does this mean the chemical potential of the system be very large?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

the chemical potential is very close to the fermi energy since the temperature is very much less than the fermi energy
    [tex]
    \mu \approx E_{\rm Fermi}(1 - O((T/E_{\rm Fermi})^2)
    [/tex]

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    where did you get the formula for the chemical potential?

So the chemical potential becomes a large negative number as temperature increases? I am trying to show that at high temperatures, the chemical potential is the same as an ideal gas.

(i am considering the 2-d case)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  5. Mar 2, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

that formula is for T << E_F
    which is always the case for a metal (since all metals melt well before T=E_F)...

it is derived, for example, in Ashcroft and Mermin "Solid State Physics" chapter 2. See, Eq. 2.77.
    For the 2d case see A+M chapter 2 problem number 1. for the classical limit see A+M chapter 2 problem 3.

6. Mar 2, 2008 #5
    what happens to the chemical potential as T increases to T>E_F?

7. Mar 3, 2008 #6

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

for high temperatures the system will be a gas. if the temperature is high enough it will be a classical gas for which the boltzmann distribution will hold--i.e., for either fermions or bosons the mean occupation number is very low and proportional to
    [tex]
    e^{-(E-\mu)/T}
    [/tex]
    which can result from the fermi (bose) distribution
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{e^{(E-\mu)/T}\pm 1}
    [/tex]
    if \mu is negative and large in magnitude. I.e., [itex]e^{|\mu|/T}>>1[/itex].

8. Mar 4, 2008 #7
    Indigojoker: as far as I know, there is no analytic expression for the chemical potential of a non-interacting fermi gas. I remember doing this derivation at some point, and I think I went via the canonical partition function: F=kT ln Z, and \mu=dF/dN. It's not possible to evaluate the expression directly, but you should be able to show that in the high T limit it would tend to the same form as the ideal gas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?