Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi Interaction of Electrons with Nuclei

1. Apr 9, 2005 #1
    Fermi Contact Interaction of Electrons with Nuclei

About this interaction, is it the spins of nuclei which interact with the spins of electrons?

So, if I draw the magnetic field line from the left nucleus via the pair of e- to the right nucleus and there is not anti-parallel field against it, this state will become stable, vice versa?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2005 #2
    Like this!

Attached Files:

4. Apr 9, 2005 #3

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure about your question. Are you referring to the Fermi-Breit contact interaction between the magnetic moments of the nucleus and an electron?
    This leads to hyperfine splitting and is not related to stability.
    It leads to line splitting with the parallel spin state lying lower.

5. Apr 10, 2005 #4
    Yes, this is what I want to know.

Actually, I have a problem about the principal of NMR, which is the spin-spin coupling/J-coupling.

I find that some reference books have not told that the spin interaction between two nuclei is via bonding electrons.

From Fermi-contact interaction, the two adjacent nuclei with parallel spin will raise in energy while they are anti-parallel to each other will lower the energy. So, what is this energy belongs to?
    The nucleus/nuclei, the system...

Attached Files:

• AX.gif
      AX.gif
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Apr 10, 2005 #5
    In this case, there are 3 nuclei and 2 bonds.

I don't understand what is exchange interaction, and what is the orientation of magnetic moment of the middle nucleus should be?

Attached Files:

7. Apr 10, 2005 #6

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In molecular systems, the F-B contact interaction I described, if between two nucleii, is completely negligible. You must be thinking of a more complicated long range spin interaction mediated, as you say by electrons. This is something else I am not familiar with. Sorry, I can't help you on that.

8. Apr 10, 2005 #7
    i have learnt abt hyperfine interactions but not the mediated kind. Can you kindly let us know which book you are using? i would like to find out abt it too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?