How Can dI/dV Help Determine Fermi Level and Band Gap in Semiconductors?

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the Fermi Level of semiconductor diamond films. The individual has been tasked with this by their lab supervisor and has some notes on the calculation that involve using equipment to collect information on voltage and tunnelling current. However, they are unsure of how to calculate the Fermi Level and band gap once they have all the data. The conversation also suggests looking into what dI/dV can reveal, potentially related to the tunneling density of states.
KayDee01
I'm supposed to be working with an STM in the coming weeks to determining the Fermi Level of some semiconductor diamond films.

I was bombarded with a lot of information by my lab supervisor and the bit of my notes about the calculation just says "Differential of voltage vs current allows us to directly observe the band gap and fermi level". I know how to use the equipment to collect information about varying voltage and tunnelling current information, but I'm a little lost as how I should be calculating the fermi level and band gap once I have all the data.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up what dI/dV tells you. Hint: it has something to do with the tunneling density of states.

Zz.

1. What is Fermi Level Measurement?

Fermi Level Measurement is a method used in semiconductor physics to determine the energy level at which electrons in a material are located at a given temperature. It is a crucial parameter in understanding the electronic behavior of materials.

2. How is Fermi Level Measurement performed?

Fermi Level Measurement is typically performed using a technique called capacitance-voltage (C-V) measurement. This involves applying a voltage to a material and measuring the resulting change in capacitance. The data collected is then used to calculate the Fermi level of the material.

3. Why is Fermi Level Measurement important?

Fermi Level Measurement is important because it provides valuable information about the electronic properties of materials. It can help determine the type of semiconductor a material is, the number of charge carriers present, and the material's conductivity.

4. What factors affect Fermi Level Measurement?

The Fermi level of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including temperature, impurities, and external electric fields. These factors can cause the Fermi level to shift, which can have a significant impact on the material's electronic properties.

5. How is Fermi Level Measurement used in practical applications?

Fermi Level Measurement is used in the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells. It is also used in materials research to understand the electronic properties of new materials and how they can be optimized for specific applications.