Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi level

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    Hi, a question please:

Do all metallic substances have an equal Fermi energy level (at a constant T) ?
    If not, what will happen (before equilibrium) if one "fuses" together two bulks of metal with different Fermi
    levels (as in a PN junction) ?

Since there's an abundance of energy states available around the Fermi level in metals, I would consequently expect electrons to flow between the bulks until an equilibrium is reached. On the other hand, I sense a hole in my little theory here.

Many thanks.

A.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2
    No, they don't. Electrons will indeed be transferred between the two metals. See Peltier effect.

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's something called a "contact potential" when such metals are in contact with each other, very much similar to a PN junction as you suspected.

This effect is made use of in the Kelvin Probe technique of measuring contact potential and Fermi energy in metals.

Zz.

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4
    To be more explicit, the conduction band and insulation band overlap for two metals allowing for electrons to move freely in a metal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted