1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi nuclear model

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This question is about the Fermi nuclear model (see Das & Ferbel page 56 or http://www.e12.physik.tu-muenchen.de/stud/vorlesungen/fabbietti/WS2007/Lecture3.pdf" [Broken]). Let the nucleon mass be [itex]m[/itex], the number of nucleons be [itex]A[/itex] and the number of protons be [itex]Z[/itex]. Assume a hypothetical situation where the only difference between the proton and the neutron is that the proton has magnetic moment [itex]\mu_p[/itex] and the neutron has magnetic moment [itex]\mu_n[/itex]. The nucleus is placed in a magnetic field [itex]B[/itex]. Assume also that the protons and neutrons may align the directions of their magnetic moments such that energy is minimized.

A. Find a formula connecting the Fermi energy of the protons with that of the neutrons.
    B. Find a formula connecting the Fermi momentum of the protons with that of the neutrons.

2. Relevant equations

See link above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think the binding energy of a nucleon should be [itex]-\mu B[/itex]. However, I don't see how to continue from here.

PS: I will appreciate a direct answer instead of hints. This is from the material for an exam I'm taking tomorrow, and I'm quite stressed about not being able to solve it. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?