Understanding the Relationship Between Fermi Energy and Fermi-Dirac Distribution

In summary, the Fermi energy is the energy of the highest occupied state at absolute zero temperature. This can be calculated by setting the chemical potential equal to the Fermi energy and solving for it using the Fermi-Dirac distribution. The total energy of the system can be found by summing over all states or by integrating over the energy distribution. The thermal velocity can then be calculated using the mean energy.
Beer-monster
Okay, so I've been asked to calculate the Fermi energy of n 2D free particles of mass m, given that the density of states does not depend on energy i.e N(e) = D for E>0.

Now I know that the general recipe for this is:

[tex] n = \int{N(E).dE} = \int{D.dE} = DE [/tex]

So that the energy is [tex] E = \frac {n}{D} [/tex] and this is the right answer for the Fermi energy. I'm just not sure why I know that this energy is the Fermi energy. I know it has something to do with the fact that at T = 0 the max energy is the fermi energy, but I'm not sure how to link that to this problem?

Also does anyone know how I get from the above result to the total energy of the Fermi gas, and how this stuff relates to thermal velocity in metals? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your first question, as you add particles at absolute zero, they settle into the lowest unoccupied states. In this case, there are n states with energy less than n/D, so the n particles will occupy these n lowest states. The Fermi energy is the energy of the highest occupied state (or, put another way, the incremental energy added to the system if you were to add another particle, explaining the connection between the Fermi energy and the chemical potential).

The total energy of the system is the sum over the energies of each state. This can be converted from a sum over states to an integral in the usual way:

[tex] \sum_k f(\epsilon_k) = \int D(\epsilon) f(\epsilon) d\epsilon[/tex]

The thermal velocity can be found by getting the mean energy and using E=1/2 mv^2.

I'm sorry I'm still a bit confused:blushing:

Although I kept on thinking about it, and is there's something wrong with saying that since the F-D distribution says that at T=0, the Fermi energy is the maximum possible energy. I can then do the integral

[tex] n = \int_{0}^{\epsilon_F} {N(E).dE} [/tex]

Which would get me the right answer? Does that make sense or am I making that up.

Also in the equation you wrote is [tex] f(\epsilon_k) [/tex] the distribution function? If so I'm still confused, I though summing that would give the number of particles with energy k. Should I then sum that over all k?

First of all, the equation I gave at the end is for an arbitrary function f. It just shows how to turn a sum over states into an integral over energy (a similar equation works for wave-vector).

Now, the Fermi-Dirac distribution is (note that I'm using f as before, but now I'm referring only to the FD distribution):

[tex]f(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{(\epsilon-\mu)/k_B T}+1}[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the energy and [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential, ie, the energy added to the system upon the addition of one more particle. This distribution gives the probability that a single (non-degenerate) state of energy [itex]\epsilon[/itex] will be occupied at a temperature T. [itex]\mu[/itex] is a function of temperature, and is found by:

[tex]n=\sum_k d_k f(\epsilon_k)=\int d\epsilon f(\epsilon) D(\epsilon)[/tex]

(where dk is the degeneracy of the kth state) and solving for [itex]\mu[/itex]. It reduces to the Fermi energy in the limit as T goes to zero. In this same limit, the distribution approaches one for energies less than the Fermi energy and zero for energies above it.

So to answer your question, yes, the FD distribution says that as T approaches zero, all states below the chemical potential are occupied and all above it are not. So, using the general technique for solving for the chemical potential that I showed above, and using the fact that at T=0 we call the chemical potential the Fermi energy, you see that the method you used in your first post is the correct one.

Last edited:

1. What is Fermi statistics?

Fermi statistics is a branch of quantum statistics that describes the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It was developed by Italian physicist Enrico Fermi in the 1920s.

2. What is the difference between Fermi statistics and Bose-Einstein statistics?

The main difference between Fermi statistics and Bose-Einstein statistics is that Fermi statistics apply to particles with half-integer spin, while Bose-Einstein statistics apply to particles with integer spin. This difference leads to distinct behaviors in the system, such as the Pauli exclusion principle for Fermi particles and Bose-Einstein condensation for Bose particles.

3. What is the Pauli exclusion principle in Fermi statistics?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that in a system of fermions, such as electrons in an atom, each particle must have a unique set of quantum numbers.

4. How does Fermi statistics explain the properties of materials?

Fermi statistics plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of materials at the quantum level. It explains why certain materials are good conductors of electricity (due to the presence of free electrons) and others are insulators (due to the absence of free electrons). It also explains the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field and the formation of energy bands in solids.

5. What are some real-life applications of Fermi statistics?

Fermi statistics has numerous applications in various fields of science and technology. It is used in the development of semiconductor devices, such as transistors and diodes, which are essential components of electronic devices. It is also applied in the study of superconductivity, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. Additionally, Fermi statistics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter at extreme conditions, such as in neutron stars and the early universe.