Fermi Style Estimation Question

In summary: I would go about answering it... The question is based on Fermi style estimation to try and encourage one to estimate and guess, the question is... 'How many particles of ionising radiation pass through your head every second?', I really have no idea how I would go about even guessing inaccurately the answer of this, never mind accurately so any help would be appreciated, thanks. Just estimate the area of the top of your head and multiply by the radiation flux (in particles/m^2) which you will have to get from some handbook. The answer probably depends on how close you
Spitfire-Adam
Have been set a rather tricky question in physics, and wondered if you had any ideas on how I would go about answering it...
It is based on Fermi style estimation to try and encourage one to estimate and guess, the question is... 'How many particles of ionising radiation pass through your head every second?', I really have no idea how I would go about even guessing inaccurately the answer of this, never mind accurately so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just estimate the area of the top of your head and multiply by the radiation flux
(in particles/m^2) which you will have to get from some handbook.

The answer probably depends on how close you are to the nuclear detonation.

Carl

as it is an estimation I've decided its probably of the average atmospheric content of radiation, does anyone know what this is? and is there anyway of finding the number as particles per cm cube or litre, and how many particles would travel through in a given time

As an upper limit, take a look at the limits on how well air conducts electricity. I would guess that a major contribution to conduction is due to ionizing radiation.

The number of cosmic rays in the atmosphere is given by a figure in units of number per cubic centimeter per solid angle. A practical book on particle theory will give the number, but if you know it, it's easy enough to compute the number going through your head. By the way, it's a rather large number.

Carl

had a think, could the answer possibly be 0?
gamma is not paticles, its waves.
beta is blocked by 1.5 cm of skull, so would be blocked, therefor not goin through
alpha wouldn't pass through skin
just a thought

Spitfire-Adam said:
had a think, could the answer possibly be 0?

Charged muons will penetrate a skull nicely and are ionizing. The rate is around one per square cm per minute, or maybe a couple per second through a brain sized object.

Carl

i think muons decay too fast to travel through our entire head

The lifetime of a stationary muon is about 2.2 usec. Travelling at near c, that's long enough time to go about a half mile. Of course anything traveling at close to c ends up having its lifetime extended by relativity.

There is another aspect to the problem, and that is explaining why muons don't get absorbed in your skull. For that, you might consider how thick the atmosphere is, measured in grams per square centimeter, and compare this to your skull.

Carl

What is a Fermi style estimation question?

A Fermi style estimation question is a type of problem-solving task that challenges individuals to make an educated guess or estimate a quantity or value using their analytical and reasoning skills. It is named after the physicist Enrico Fermi, who was known for his ability to make accurate estimates using limited information and logical thinking.

Why are Fermi style estimation questions useful?

Fermi style estimation questions are useful because they help individuals develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also promote creativity and the ability to think outside the box. In addition, they can be applied to real-world scenarios where exact values may not be readily available but rough estimations are needed.

What is the process for solving a Fermi style estimation question?

The process for solving a Fermi style estimation question typically involves breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and using logical reasoning and available data to make educated guesses. It is important to consider multiple factors and make reasonable assumptions in order to arrive at a reasonable estimation.

What are some tips for solving Fermi style estimation questions?

Some tips for solving Fermi style estimation questions include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, utilizing logical reasoning and making reasonable assumptions, considering multiple factors, and using approximations and rounding to simplify calculations. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize oneself with different types of estimation problems.

How can Fermi style estimation questions be applied in the real world?

Fermi style estimation questions can be applied in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and business. They can be used to make rough estimations of quantities such as population size, market demand, or energy consumption. They can also be useful in decision-making processes where precise values may not be readily available. Additionally, they can help individuals develop critical thinking skills that are valuable in many industries and professions.