Fermi surface spectroscopy

• I
  • Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
I am reading about angle-resovled-photoemission-spectroscopy (ARPES). It seems that it is a technique that gives the energy dispersion as a function of the momentum k. However in all talks about it, it seems to be a technique that gives us the fermi surface of the given structure. I don't understand this. Does it not give us the full band structure and not necessarily just the energy diagram for the highest occupied energy states?

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I am reading about angle-resovled-photoemission-spectroscopy (ARPES). It seems that it is a technique that gives the energy dispersion as a function of the momentum k. However in all talks about it, it seems to be a technique that gives us the fermi surface of the given structure. I don't understand this. Does it not give us the full band structure and not necessarily just the energy diagram for the highest occupied energy states?

It does, but depending on how you analyze it, it can also map the Fermi surface. You simply look for the k-values where the band crosses the Fermi energy. Then in k-space, you map these values, and voila, you have the Fermi surface.

Zz.