Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi theory

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    Could you explain what's the interpretation of [tex]a[/tex] before [tex]\gamma^{5}[/tex] in this current:

[tex]J_{\alpha}=\bar{\psi_{e}}\gamma^{\alpha}\left(1-a\gamma^{5}\right)\psi_{\nu_{e}} +\bar{\psi_{\mu}}\gamma^{\alpha}\left(1-a\gamma^{5}\right)\psi_{\nu_{\mu}}[/tex]?

And will this factor complicate calculations of decay rate of muon very much? I've seen that the standard form of current in the most popular books contains just [tex]1-\gamma^{5}[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It is the relative strength of the axial current. It's unity for leptons. But where did you get this? It's a poor way to write this, since it's the vector current that changes.

4. May 18, 2015 #3
    It's a task from my studies. I have to calculate the decay rate for muon starting from hamiltonian with current in this form. I've started and ran into troubles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook