Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermi Velocity absolute zero

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    Is it weird that at absolute zero in a metal, electrons at the fermi level still move around at the fermi velocity.

Is the notion that everything stops at absolute zero incorrect?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2
    Kinetic energy of free electron: E=p^2/2m in classical mechanics, and E=h^2/2m in quantum mechanics.
    Under the classical theory at T=0 V=0 and accordingly E=0. But in quantum mechanics at T=0 electron in a crystal has « Fermi's energy »: E=h^2(3pi^2*n)^(2/3)/2m. As you can see it does not depend on temperature.
    Yes.
    I wish success.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    absolute zero and ground state

Yes. The notion that everything comes to a stop is a classical notion and quantum effects will "violate" it. Here, you see the Pauli principle in action. Even without it (i.e. for a system of bosons, or for one isolated particle), you have quantum zero-point energy, ensuring that if you measure the momentum of a particle, there is a probability that it is nonzero even at zero temperature.

The only case where the particles are strictly motionless is for a system of bosons that do not interact, or a single particle, in an infinite geometry without any potentials.

Thus: At T=0, it is not true that particles are at rest. However, it is true that the system (as a whole) is in its ground state, the state of lowest possible energy. (This is by definition, more or less.) But the ground state will typically have a nonzero probability for a particle being in motion!

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
    Re: absolute zero and ground state

I have to disagree with all the "content" of that paragraph. 1) The analogy to the energy of the free particle is completely irrelevant at this point. 2) You give a zeroth-order formula for T=0 and impose that this formula is temperature independent. That's trivial and has no significance. To the contrary, the Fermi surface gets smeered out for T>0 because there is a probability distribution in energy.

I completely agree with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook