Fermi Velocity absolute zero

• Thread starter azaharak
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Is it weird that at absolute zero in a metal, electrons at the fermi level still move around at the fermi velocity.

Is the notion that everything stops at absolute zero incorrect?

Thank you

Answers and Replies

Kinetic energy of free electron: E=p^2/2m in classical mechanics, and E=h^2/2m in quantum mechanics.
Under the classical theory at T=0 V=0 and accordingly E=0. But in quantum mechanics at T=0 electron in a crystal has « Fermi's energy »: E=h^2(3pi^2*n)^(2/3)/2m. As you can see it does not depend on temperature.
Is the notion that everything stops at absolute zero incorrect?
Yes.
I wish success.

absolute zero and ground state

Yes. The notion that everything comes to a stop is a classical notion and quantum effects will "violate" it. Here, you see the Pauli principle in action. Even without it (i.e. for a system of bosons, or for one isolated particle), you have quantum zero-point energy, ensuring that if you measure the momentum of a particle, there is a probability that it is nonzero even at zero temperature.

The only case where the particles are strictly motionless is for a system of bosons that do not interact, or a single particle, in an infinite geometry without any potentials.

Thus: At T=0, it is not true that particles are at rest. However, it is true that the system (as a whole) is in its ground state, the state of lowest possible energy. (This is by definition, more or less.) But the ground state will typically have a nonzero probability for a particle being in motion!

Re: absolute zero and ground state

Kinetic energy of free electron: E=p^2/2m in classical mechanics, and E=h^2/2m in quantum mechanics.
Under the classical theory at T=0 V=0 and accordingly E=0. But in quantum mechanics at T=0 electron in a crystal has « Fermi's energy »: E=h^2(3pi^2*n)^(2/3)/2m. As you can see it does not depend on temperature.
I have to disagree with all the "content" of that paragraph. 1) The analogy to the energy of the free particle is completely irrelevant at this point. 2) You give a zeroth-order formula for T=0 and impose that this formula is temperature independent. That's trivial and has no significance. To the contrary, the Fermi surface gets smeered out for T>0 because there is a probability distribution in energy.

Thus: At T=0, it is not true that particles are at rest. However, it is true that the system (as a whole) is in its ground state, the state of lowest possible energy. (This is by definition, more or less.) But the ground state will typically have a nonzero probability for a particle being in motion!
I completely agree with that.