Fermi-Walker transport - problem with a minus sign

In summary: However, if you want to transport a tetrad with components a^\mu, a^\nu, b^\mu, b^\nu in a given frame, you can use the following equation: u^\mu = \partial_\tau u^\mu + a^\mu u^\mu^\mu + b^\mu u^\mu^\nu + b^\nu u^\mu^\nu^\mu
mikeu
I am looking at the Fermi-Walker transport of a tetrad transported by an observer in circular motion in Minkowski space. The 0-component of the tetrad should be the 4-velocity of the observer, which should therefore satisfy the FWT DE, but I'm finding that it is equal to the negative of what it should be... Can anybody find the error in my derivation?

Assume that in the inertial (Minkowski) lab frame the observer is seen to be orbiting with constant angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] at constant radius [itex]r[/itex]. Then the worldline of the observer is given by [itex]\mathcal{P}_0 = \left(\gamma\tau, r\cos(\gamma\omega\tau), r\sin(\gamma\omega\tau), 0)[/itex] where [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper time of the observer and [itex]\gamma\equiv(1-r^2\omega^2)^{-1/2}[/itex]. I'm working in [itex]c=1[/itex] units with metric signature (+---). This let's us find the 4-vectors

[tex]u^\mu = \partial_\tau\mathcal{P}_0 = \gamma\left(1, -\omega r\sin(\gamma\omega\tau), \omega r\cos(\gamma\omega\tau), 0\right)[/tex]

[tex]a^\mu = \partial_\tau u^\mu = -\gamma^2\omega^2r\left(0, \cos(\gamma\omega\tau), \sin(\gamma\omega\tau), 0\right)[/tex]

Now, we should have that [itex]u^\mu[/itex] satisfies the FWT DE such that [itex]\partial_\tau u^\mu = \left(u^\mu a^\nu - u^\nu a^\mu\right)u_\nu[/itex]. For simplicity, consider 1-component. Then looking at the two sides separately gives us

[tex]\partial_\tau u^1 = -\gamma^2\omega^2 r\cos(\gamma\omega\tau)[/tex]

and

[tex]\left(u^1 a^\nu - u^\nu a^1\right)u_\nu = \left(a^0u^1-a^1u^0\right)u^0 - \left(a^1u^1-a^1u^1\right)u^1 - \left(a^2u^1-a^1u^2\right)u^2 - \left(a^3u^1-a^1u^3\right)u^3[/tex]

[tex] = \gamma^4\omega^2r\cos(\gamma\omega\tau) - \gamma^4\omega^4r^3\cos(\gamma\omega\tau) = \gamma^2\omega^2r\cos(\gamma\omega\tau) = -\partial_\tau u^1.[/tex]

It's that final minus sign that shouldn't be there... I've checked all 16 components of the tetrad and they are all yield the LHS equal to the negative of the RHS of the DE (on occaision because both sides are zero). Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
mikeu said:
Now, we should have that [itex]u^\mu[/itex] satisfies the FWT DE such that [itex]\partial_\tau u^\mu = \left(u^\mu a^\nu - u^\nu a^\mu\right)u_\nu[/itex]

There seems to be a sign error here. On the right there is [itex]\partial_\tau u^\mu = a^\mu[/itex], while on the left, [itex]\left(u^\mu a^\nu - u^\nu a^\mu\right)u_\nu = u^\mu a^\nu u_\nu - a^\mu u^\nu u_\nu = u^\mu (0) - a^\mu (1) = - a^\mu[/itex].

Regards,
George

Last edited:
George Jones said:
There seems to be a sign error here. On the right there is [itex]\partial_\tau u^\mu = a^\mu[/itex], while on the left, [itex]\left(u^\mu a^\nu - u^\nu a^\mu\right)u_\nu = u^\mu a^\nu u_\nu - a^\mu u^\nu u_\nu = u^\mu (0) - a^\mu (1) = - a^\mu[/itex].

Regards,
George

True enough... So I guess that solves my immediate problem, thanks! Seems to introduce a potential future one though... This implies that the DE for Fermi-Walker transport which I've seen many places online, and in MTW, is dependent on the metric of the lab frame, is that right? So if I wanted to do this problem in a Schwarzschild metric for example, or even in Minkowski space with polar coordinates, I'd have to derive a different DE for the tetrad components to satisfy in order to Fermi-Walker transport them?

Thanks again,
Mike

George Jones said:

Regards,
George

The sign convention strikes again!

MTW assumes that [itex]u^a u_a=-1[/itex], which is true with a -+++ sign convention. However, the OP used a +--- sign convention.

I don't know of a clean way of expressing fermi-walker transport in arbitrary sign conventions.

1. What is Fermi-Walker transport?

Fermi-Walker transport is a mathematical technique used in general relativity to study the motion of a particle in a curved spacetime. It involves finding the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a particle in a curved spacetime, and then using it to calculate the change in direction of the particle's velocity as it moves along the geodesic.

2. What is the main purpose of Fermi-Walker transport?

The main purpose of Fermi-Walker transport is to study the effects of a curved spacetime on the motion of a particle. This is particularly useful in general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime is described by the presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars.

3. What is the "problem with a minus sign" in Fermi-Walker transport?

The "problem with a minus sign" refers to an issue that arises when using Fermi-Walker transport in special relativity. In this case, the geodesic equation involves a minus sign, which can lead to difficulties in interpreting the results. This is because special relativity does not account for the curvature of spacetime, so the minus sign can be seen as a discrepancy in the theory.

4. How is the "problem with a minus sign" resolved in Fermi-Walker transport?

The "problem with a minus sign" is resolved by considering the geometry of spacetime in special relativity. By taking into account the curvature of spacetime, the minus sign in the geodesic equation becomes meaningful and can be used to accurately describe the motion of a particle in a curved spacetime.

5. What are some applications of Fermi-Walker transport?

Fermi-Walker transport has several applications in both theoretical and observational physics. It is commonly used in general relativity to study the effects of gravitational fields on the motion of particles. It is also used in cosmology to study the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, it has applications in satellite navigation and in the development of space propulsion systems.