1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermion Gas well potential

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For free electrons in a metal, the depth of a potential well can be determined by observing that the work function is the energy required to remove an electron at the top of the occupied states from the metal; an electron in this state has the Fermi energy.

Assuming each atom provides one free electron to the gas, find the depth of the well for a free electron in gold (work function = 4.8 eV)

2. Relevant equations

5afda697888e24366242dd110d4c7d76.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm assuming that the answer will be just the fermi energy plus the work function, but I can't seem to get the right answer when plugging everything in.

For N/V, I used (Avogadro # x Density of gold) / (molar mass of gold) , and got 3.89 x 10^9 electrons / cubic meter

The answer should be on the order of 1 ev, but I can't seem to get this. The m here refers to the mass of a single electron, correct? But using that, I just don't get the right orders of magnitude. (I get about 5 x 10^6).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    That isn't nearly enough electrons in a cubic meter. You made a mistake in calculating N/V. Please show all of your work so we can see what you did wrong.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    Yeah you're right. 10^9 was what I got when I took number of electrons / m^3 and raised it to the 1/3 power, to get N/L. I think I'm supposed to use the 1 dimensional equation.

edit: yeah I was just being dumb, I had it right, was just using the wrong units for mass. Thanks though.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. Mar 30, 2010 #4
    You have the right equation. Just show your work on solving N/V so we can check it. Remember to show all units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook