1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermionic Fock Space

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Fermionic.png

2. Relevant equations

Given in question.

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello

I'm having some difficulty with part e of this question. Not sure how to go about proving that. Would a possibility would be deriving the following equation:

##|n⟩= \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}(c^†)^n |0⟩ ## ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

You know that ##c^2 = 0##. So what can you say about ##\left(c^\dagger \right)^2 = \; ?##

Then think about ##[H, c^\dagger] = \; ?##, etc.

4. Jan 17, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Then ##\left(c^\dagger \right)^2 = 0##. However I'm not picking up on the reasoning for determining the commutator. If I remember correctly if two operators commute then they share the same eigenvalues, is that correct?

5. Jan 17, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, it's a bit more subtle. For example, for a free particle, the momentum ##\hat p## and Hamiltonian ##\hat H = \frac{\hat p^2}{2m}## commute, but the eigenvalues of ##\hat p## have units of momentum and the eigenvalues of ##\hat H## are energies. Clearly, they can't be the same values. Moreover, you can have eigenstates of the Hamiltonian which are not momentum eigenstates.

6. Jan 17, 2016 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

Yes.
    You gave an equation for ##|n\rangle##. So what is ##|2\rangle, |3\rangle, \dots## ? From this what can you conclude about the structure of the Fock space?

Then evaluate ##H |0\rangle## and ##H |1\rangle## ...

7. Jan 18, 2016 #6
    Right, so ##|n\rangle = 0## when ##n=2,3,4...##, in which case the only non vanishing ones are when ##n=0,1## as required. And then evaluating ##H |0\rangle## and ##H |1\rangle## is straight forward using the relations given in part d and before.

8. Jan 18, 2016 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is your expression for ##\lvert n \rangle## justified? Does applying ##c^\dagger## repeatedly generate all possible states?

I think it would be better if you considered the fact that you can write N in terms of H. Then use what you showed in part (c).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted