1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermionic oscillator property

1. Dec 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Warren Siegel, Fields, ex. IA2.3(b)

Define the eigenstate of the fermionic annihilation operator as [tex]a|\zeta\rangle=\zeta |\zeta\rangle[/tex]. [tex]\zeta[/tex] is a Grassmann (anti-commuting) number.

Show that

[tex]a^\dag|\zeta\rangle=-\frac{\partial}{\partial\zeta}|\zeta\rangle[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\{a,a^\dag\}=aa^\dag + a^\dag a = 1[/tex]
    [tex]\{a^\dag\,a^\dag\}=0[/tex]
    [tex]\{a,a\}=0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For small [tex]\Delta\zeta[/tex] we have

[tex]|\zeta+\Delta\zeta\rangle = |\zeta\rangle+\Delta\zeta\frac{\partial}{\partial\zeta}|\zeta\rangle[/tex]

(Actually this is exact since [tex]\Delta\zeta^2=0[/tex].)

so we could show first that

[tex]|\zeta+\Delta\zeta\rangle = |\zeta\rangle-\Delta\zeta a^\dag|\zeta\rangle[/tex]

That is as far as I have gotten. And it is not clear to me.. do the anti-commuting c-numbers [tex]\zeta[/tex] commute with the operator [tex]a^\dag[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2009 #2
    Actually, I think I about have this one. But it hinges on .. do the anti-commuting c-numbers [tex]\zeta[/tex] commute or anti-commute with the operator [tex]a^\dag[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook