1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fermions in a box

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a. Electrons and neutrons are fermions. Put 12 of them (6 each) in a box, and determine the n value for the ones with the highest energy.
    b. Do the same for 12 bosons (6 are pi zero bosons and 6 are alpha particles).

2. Relevant equations
    En = (h2n2)/(8mL2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure how to approach this problem. What is it asking? How do I know which have the highest energy? (Neutrons in general have a higher rest energy than electrons, but I don't know if that's at all relevant.)
    My only hunch is that the Pauli Exclusion Principle is involved (like I could have 2 electrons in ground state, 2 in n=2 state, 2 in n=3 state, etc. but that doesn't seem like what the question is asking).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is special about the way Fermions fill energy levels?

4. Mar 26, 2014 #3
    Two fermions can't occupy the same quantum state. So if there are 6 electrons the highest energy level would be n=3 (same for the neutrons).

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you have just answered question (a).
    What is the difference with bosons?

6. Mar 27, 2014 #5
    Bosons aren't subject to the Pauli Exclusion Principle so they can all occupy the ground state.

I wasn't sure if I was over- or under-thinking the problem, it seemed too easy...

7. Mar 27, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I know - it throws you out when it's not something subtle or tricky.
    But it's good practice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted