Fermi's Golden Rule: Countable Quantum States & H-Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the H-theorem and Fermi's Golden Rule in relation to quantum systems. The H-theorem states that entropy always increases in isolated systems, and Fermi's Golden Rule refers to the probability of transitions between quantum states. These rules can be proven with certain assumptions, such as countable quantum states and a Hermitian Hamiltonian. However, the Fermi Golden Rule may not be applicable to transitions between individual states.
Kiarash
Consider a system with countable quantum states. One can define Jij as the rate of transition of probability from i-th to j-th quantum state. In H-theorem, if one assumes both $$ H:=\Sigma_{i} p_{i}log(p_{i})$$ $$J_{ij}=J_{ji}$$ then they can prove the H always decrease. The latter is Fermi's Golden Rule states that the transition rate's matrix is symmetric.

I have seen in Federick Reif's book Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, he has proven Fermi's rule. Briefly, consider a quantum system which obeys Schrödinger's equation:$$i\hbar (d/dt)(\psi)=H\psi$$
where H is Hermitian. Then one can use these relations to _prove_ Fermi's Golden Rule in this specific case: (I show i-th eigenvector with Ψi.)
$$J_{ij}\alpha |\langle{\psi_{j},H\psi_{i}}\rangle|^2=\langle{\psi_{j},H\psi_{i}} \rangle\overline{\langle{\psi_{j},H\psi_{i}}\rangle}$$ and H is Hermitian, so: $$J_{ij}\alpha |\langle{\psi_{j},H\psi_{i}}\rangle|^2=\overline{\langle{H\psi_{j},\psi_{i}} \rangle}\langle{H\psi_{j},\psi_{i}}\rangle=\langle{\psi_{i},H\psi_{j}} \rangle\overline{\langle{\psi_{i},H\psi_{j}}\rangle}$$ Hence:
$$J_{ij}=J_{ji}$$

As a result, we can proof entropy for an isolated system always increase at least for some special cases with these assumptions:

I. If our quantum states are countable.

II. If our system can be described with a Hamiltonian that is Hermitian.

I have a question: do you have an example of a system does not obey these two assumptions? If so, is Fermi's Golden Rule a principle? How can we prove it using quantum mechanics? Do you know some articles about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The H-theorem is valid even for exact S-matrix elements not only for first-order Born matrix elements. You only need the unitarity of the S-matrix, no more (particularly you don't need time-reversal, parity or other discrete symmetries), and the validity of the Boltzmann Stoßzahlansatz (hypothesis of molecular chaos), which is violated for long-range forces like gravity (that's the reason why there is structure in the universe due to small initial fluctuations).

For details, see my lecture notes on relativistic transport theory (of course, it doesn't matter that I discuss relativistic transport theory; the theorem holds of course also for non-relativistic transport theory, and the proof is identical):

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/kolkata.pdf

Likes Kiarash
Kiarash said:
In H-theorem, if one assumes both $$ H:=\Sigma_{i} p_{i}log(p_{i})$$ $$J_{ij}=J_{ji}$$ then they can prove the H always decrease. The latter is Fermi's Golden Rule states that the transition rate's matrix is symmetric.

The Fermi Golden Rule refers to simple picture of state change, where the system can only be in a state that corresponds to some eigenvalue of the system Hamiltonian. It states that probability that

system initially at known state ##i## of energy ##E_i## is, after time interval ##t##, in any other state of energy ##E_f## (there may be lots of such states)

is given approximately by

$$
\frac{2\pi}{\hbar} |H'_{if}|^2\rho(E_f) t
$$
where ##H'_{if}## is matrix of the perturbation Hamiltonian in the basis of system Hamiltonian eigenfunctions and ##\rho(E_f)## is density of eigenfunctions on the energy line.

This means according to the golden rule, the probability of the indicated change increases linearly with time. However, this rule can be derived only for transitions that are from one state to a band of states or (similar rule) for transitions from a band of states to one state. As far as I know it is not possible to derive it for a probability of transition coming from a single state to another single state (probabilities of such transitions behave initially as ##t^2## and tend to oscillate in long times).

The description by the golden rule thus cannot be, without further analysis, be taken as a derivation of simple transition kinetic model, where one can express any transition rate as

$$
rate~of~jumps~(j\rightarrow i) = \Gamma_{ij}p_j
$$
with ##\Gamma_{ij}## independent of ##p##'s and ##t##.

What is Fermi's Golden Rule?

Fermi's Golden Rule is a mathematical formula that describes the rate at which transitions occur between quantum states in a system. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle undergoing a transition from one state to another.

How does Fermi's Golden Rule relate to the H-Theorem?

Fermi's Golden Rule is closely related to the H-Theorem, which is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that the entropy of a closed system will tend to increase over time. This theorem can be derived from Fermi's Golden Rule, as it describes the irreversible nature of quantum transitions.

What are countable quantum states?

Countable quantum states refer to the discrete energy levels that a quantum system can occupy. These states are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain values, and can be counted or enumerated.

How is Fermi's Golden Rule used in practical applications?

Fermi's Golden Rule has many practical applications, particularly in the fields of condensed matter physics and atomic and molecular physics. It is commonly used to calculate rates of electron transitions in semiconductors and to study the dynamics of chemical reactions.

What are the limitations of Fermi's Golden Rule?

While Fermi's Golden Rule is a useful tool in many applications, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a steady state and that the interactions between particles are weak. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum coherence, which can be important in certain systems.