Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferric Chloride: MSDS and safety precautions

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,

I have an application where I'm going to need to be using Ferric Chloride ( MSDS ).

Unfortunately, the guy who told me what I needed to use is now out of town, and out of communication so I'm not able to ask him what a reasonable level of safety precautions are needed.

Am I going to just need gloves?
    Gloves and air filter?
    Gas mask?
    Hood?
    Full bunny suit? :surprised

Can someone take pity on this dumb aerospace engineer and help me make sense of the MSDS?

-thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    I would say it isn't that dangerous of a material to work with. The health hazard is only a 2. Many of the common solvents people work with like hexanes, acetonitrile, and DCM are a lot worse for you to be exposed to. Its not flammable or very reactive so I would say wear gloves (you should always no matter what chemical you are working with), goggles/safety glasses, apron or lab coat and you should be fine. Just don't expose the compound to a lot of light, since it decomposes to HCl which could potentially be dangerous.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  4. Apr 29, 2005 #3
    Actually I just looked up a MSDS for it at JTBaker http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/f1060.htm

This one lists the contact rating and says it is very corrosive, so you will want to be more cautious than I originally thought. Just work in the hood, avoid contact w/ skin and try not to breathe in any vapors it gives off (which will be HCl gas most likely).

5. Apr 29, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is corrosive so don't get it on your skin: use gloves. Don't get it on your clothes either: it will make nasty staines. My bf got it on his pants, it did not burn any holes.. but now the black pant has a brown stain :tongue2:

I am not sure what the best way is to inactivate the material. Do you have a chemical disposal service? You should give any excess to them. By bf read on the internet to put soda (sodium carbonate) in it.. I would not do that: it makes a biiggg mess (giant souffle).

6. Apr 29, 2005 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In dealing with chemicals, the rules of thumb are pretty much the same, except for exceptional cases.

Wear gloves, goggles, be careful in handling the solution (try not to spill it), wear shoes and long pants, much of it is common sense. The MSDS seems to suggest the use of a fume hood...although I don't quite remember such measures when handling this compound in lab.

Be sure to follow up on the sheet in case any contact should occur. It might also be safe to wear masks in this case, although this may be a bit excessive....try not to breathe the vapor.

7. Apr 30, 2005 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all!

8. May 1, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing this is for etching PCBs. Ferric chloride is relatively harmless...just make sure you've got gloves on, and keep in mind the it is a good dye, so don't spill.

9. May 3, 2005 #8
    I've used FeCl3 for etching printed-circuit boards. It's acidic (salt of a strong acid & weak base) and can cause skin irritation, but I never had any problems when it got on me (some people are more sensitive). You should wear eye protection, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?