1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ferris wheel physics question

1. Jul 17, 2010 #1
    In 1893, George Ferris engineered the Ferris Wheel. It was 250 feet in diameter. If the wheel makes 1 revolution every 50 seconds, then

h(t) = 125sin (pi/25t - pi/2) + 125

represents the height (h), in feet, of a seat on the wheel as a function of time (t), where t is measured in seconds. The ride begins when t = 0.

a.) During the first 50 seconds of the ride, at what time (t) is an individual on the Ferris Wheel exactly 125 feet above the ground?

b.) During the first 100 seconds of the ride, at what time (t) is an individual on the Ferris Wheel exactly 250 feet above the ground?

c.) During the first 50 seconds of the ride, over what interval of time (t) is an individual on the Ferris Wheel more than 125 feet above the ground?

Can someone help me solve part A so I can do the rest by myself. Thank you very much!!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

They are simply saying, during one revolution, when is h(t) = 125. Solve for t.

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You mean h(t)= 125 sin((pi/25)t- pi/2)+ 125

Solve the equation h(t)= 125 sin((pi/25)t- pi/2)+ 125= 125. For what values of x is sin(x)= 0?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook