1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferris Wheel Problem PLEASE HELP!

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Ferris Wheel Problem!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Ferris Wheel takes 29 seconds to make one revolution.
    The diameter of this Ferris Wheel is forty feet.
    The distance from the ground to the top of the Ferris Wheel is forty-five feet. (That means that the distance from the ground to the bottom of the Ferris Wheel is five feet).
    From your starting position (A), it takes 11 seconds to reach the top(B).
    What will your height above the ground be when you have ridden the Ferris Wheel for 21 seconds?
    Round the answer to the nearest whole number with units!!

I did this problem and got eleven feet. Can ANYONE tell me if that is right or not?!

LOOK AT THE DIAGRAM ON THIS WEBSITE: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=728492#728492

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

this is what i am ultimately trying to solve. we are trying to find out who "gave you the prize" it is Trig. question.

These are the letters i got to unscramble but they are wrong, i know, because, in the website when it says to cross out the following letters i did but when it said 2-F's, i only had one F. so i need your help, here are the letters!:

R I C L E V E E G H A R T Y

some of these are probably wronge becuase i didn't have 2 f's to cross out but if you can unscramble these letters then i guess i am right.
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! it would be so sweet of someone to help me! PLEASE PLEASE
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    I am sorry if i sound desperate, but i kind of am haha.

like if anyone can help me w/ anything. please?
  6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    WHY hasn't anybody answered this! please!! HELP ME!
  7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No one answered because i) exclamation points, and large fonts just put people off. ii) URGENT! cries just usually tend to indicate somebody has been putting things off until the last minute and most importantly, you didn't show how you got your answer of 11 feet. The last is most important. I also got an answer of 11 feet, but not for the distance from the ground. I got that for the distance from the axis of the ferris wheel to the ground.
  8. Apr 22, 2008 #7
    tan (34.5) = opposite/20
    opposite side = 13.513
    6.4869+5 = 11.48696 = 11 Feet
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  9. Apr 22, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a little confusing, but yes, angle from the top is 124 degrees. That's 34 degrees below the horizontal. Ok, but I wouldn't round 34.045 to 34.5. opposite/hypotenuse is sin, not tan. That's the big mistake. Try reworking it with that. Is this an exercise or a speed contest??
  10. Apr 22, 2008 #9
    Okay thank you,
    no it is just a problem our teacher gave us.

okay so now can you help me unscrable this:
    R, I, C, O, U, R, T, E, E, G, H, A, R, T, Y
  11. Apr 22, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, no can't guess. That's not really a math problem, now is it?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?