Ferris Wheel Height Function: Diameter, Location, and Time Analysis

• Thread starter yourmom98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the height of a rider on a ferris wheel can be described by the function y=67sin[(pi/15)x -30]+70, where y is the height in meters and x is the time in minutes. The diameter of the ferris wheel can be found by taking the maximum height (134 meters) and the minimum height (3 meters) and subtracting them. The rider will be at the bottom of the ride whenever the graph is at its lowest point, which occurs every 15.7436 minutes. The full rotation of the ferris wheel takes 30 minutes.
yourmom98
The height (in metres) of a rider on a ferris wheel after t minutes can be described by the function y=67sin[(pi/15)x -30]+70

a) what is the diameter
b) where is the rider at x=0? explain the significance
c)how high off the ground is the rider at the top of the wheel?
d) at what times will the rider be at the bottom of the ferris wheel?
e) how long does it take for the ferris wheel to go through one rotation

a) 134 meters
b) i graphed this and found the y value for when x=0 and it was not at the bottom of the graph what does this mean? if time/x is zero shouldn't they rider be at the bottom?
c)137 meters
d)15.7436 (from graphing) is there a way to solve this without graphing?
e)30 min

can you check my answers can help me with b) and d)

Physics news on Phys.org
yourmom98 said:
The height (in metres) of a rider on a ferris wheel after t minutes can be described by the function y=67sin[(pi/15)x -30]+70

a) what is the diameter
b) where is the rider at x=0? explain the significance
c)how high off the ground is the rider at the top of the wheel?
d) at what times will the rider be at the bottom of the ferris wheel?
e) how long does it take for the ferris wheel to go through one rotation

a) The maximum value of sin(anything) = 1. The minimum of sin(anything)=-1. Take the maximum height - minimum height, you will get diameter. Does this also help answer something about the (+ 70) at the end?

b) time = 0 seconds, doesn't mean that they should be at the bottom. What if I started this equation when the ride was half way through.

c) ^_^

d) The rider will be at the bottom of the ride whenever the graph is at it's lowest. The minimum of sin(anything)=-1, thus 3 is the lowest you can get. Equate the equation to 3. It will be periodical of course, so add in the period of the ferris wheel's full turn.

e) I see you have the answer ready for part (d) ;)

Last edited:
i don't understand what you said for d) 70 is not the lowest point on the ride the lowest point on the ride is 3m you can see this from the graph. because since the sine function was stretched by a factor of 67 raising it up 70 units would only put the minimum at 3 meters because amplitude is 67 also for a) you can just do 2 times a value 2*67=134 (this is correct) to get the same answeras max-min

You are right. I've corrected my complete blunder in simple mathematics :P
See above again. Sorry about that.

1. What are some common mechanical problems that can occur on a Ferris Wheel?

Some common mechanical problems that can occur on a Ferris Wheel include malfunctioning motors, broken or loose bolts, faulty safety features, and issues with the wheel’s bearings or axles.

2. How do you ensure the safety of riders on a Ferris Wheel?

To ensure the safety of riders on a Ferris Wheel, regular maintenance and inspections should be performed to identify and address any potential issues. Safety features such as seat belts, emergency stop buttons, and backup systems should also be in place and regularly tested.

3. What is the maximum weight capacity for a Ferris Wheel?

The maximum weight capacity for a Ferris Wheel varies depending on its size and design. However, most standard Ferris Wheels have a weight capacity of around 240-300 pounds per seat.

4. How do you calculate the speed and rotation of a Ferris Wheel?

The speed and rotation of a Ferris Wheel can be calculated using the formula: v = 2πr/t, where v is the speed in meters per second, r is the radius of the wheel in meters, and t is the time it takes for one complete rotation in seconds.

5. What measures are taken to prevent accidents on a Ferris Wheel?

To prevent accidents on a Ferris Wheel, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. In addition, safety features such as seat belts, emergency stop buttons, and backup systems should be in place and regularly tested. Operators should also follow proper loading procedures and ensure that all riders meet the height and weight requirements for safety purposes.