1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferris Wheel Rotation physics

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    A Ferris wheel that rotates three times each minute and has a diameter of 16.0 m

What force [magnitude and direction (measured inward from the vertical)] does the seat exert on a 43.0 kg rider when the rider is halfway between top and bottom, going up?

Ok, the magnitude is easy...

Fnet = m(centripetal acceleration^2 + acceleration due to gravity^2)^1/2 = 422.77 N

What I can't figure out to save my life is the direction "measured inward from the vertical"..

My thinking is to basically make a triangle (similarly to the method used to find Fnet) with 33.95 N being the opposite side (pushing in), and the adjacent side being 421.4 N (pushing up). This gives 0.08 degrees in from vertical, which is incorrect.

What am I doing wrong here? :confused:

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

opposite is 33.95. adjacent is 421.4. What is arctan(33.95/421.4) ?

4. Oct 2, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The rider is experiencing two forces, the seat (diagonally up and inwards) and his weight (down) these two together produce the (horizontally inwards) centripetal force.

Fnet (the diagonal I get a bit different from you 427 N). The angle that is required is therefore between the weight and Fnet vector.

Also I do not get a vector of 33.95 N in my calculations.

5. Oct 2, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I'm getting 33.95N. v = 3.14(16)*3/60 = 2.513m/s. mv^2/r = 43*(2.513)^2/8 = 33.95

6. Oct 2, 2007 #5
    OK... This is the second time this semester I've made myself look like a fool because I was in radian mode...

Sorry... the answer is indeed arctan(33.95/421.4).

:frown:

7. Oct 2, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Don't feel bad. I've made that same mistake a couple of times right here on the forum!

8. Oct 3, 2007 #7

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Ok, I took the diameter for the radius in my calcs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?