1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferrofluid pressure question

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    Hi to everyone,
    i wanted to ask if a ferrofluid exist that can withstand a pressure of 50 Psi? Does the "strenght" of the liquid depend on the strenght of the magnetiv field?
    Are there any such ferrofluids, or is this too much for the fluids available on the market?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    Anybody???:smile:

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Ferrofluids are typically based on water or some organic solvent. Why would either of these liquids not withstand 50 Psi of pressure? What are you asking about "strenght" of the liquid"? It is not possible to give an answer to a question that doesn't make any sense. Please re-try.

The word is spelled strength. Have you done a Google search for ferrofluids yet? Have you read the description of ferrofluids in Wikipedia?

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    Yes, i have. Everywhere the quotes PSi is in the range of 4-6 PSI. I have never read anywhere of higher psi. That is the reason i am asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook